Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the Greatest Fighter Joe Louis Defeated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the Greatest Fighter Joe Louis Defeated?

He lost to 2 great fighters in Charles and Marciano who IMO were greater than every other opponent Louis fought...

so who was the greatest name on Joe's resume?

For me its Jersey Joe Walcott. A future heavyweight champ, one of the best technicians ever, fast, slippery, KO power in both hands. True he lost to lesser fighters over the course of his career but when he was on form he was spectacular.

Joe Louis got off the canvas to win a disputed decision in their first fight. He also got off the canvas in their second fight to KO Walcott when behind on points.

Louis was not prime in either of these fights, but I'd argue that the 'peak' Walcott that he fought and beat was his best opponent.

Also remember that although Charles and Walcott traded several decisions with each other at heavyweight, Walcott knocked Charles spark out and gave Marciano more of a boxing lesson than Charles did in their first fight prior to the 13th round KO.
    Last edited by Sugarj; 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Conn, Schmeling or Walcott are the names that immediately come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        For me its Jersey Joe Walcott. A future heavyweight champ, one of the best technicians ever, fast, slippery, KO power in both hands. True he lost to lesser fighters over the course of his career but when he was on form he was spectacular.

Joe Louis got off the canvas to win a disputed decision in their first fight. He also got off the canvas in their second fight to KO Walcott when behind on points.

Louis was not prime in either of these fights, but I'd argue that the 'peak' Walcott that he fought and beat was his best opponent.

Also remember that although Charles and Walcott traded several decisions with each other at heavyweight, Walcott knocked Charles spark out and gave Marciano more of a boxing lesson than Charles did in their first fight prior to the 13th round KO.
        Originally posted by NonelikeNunn View Post
        Conn, Schmeling or Walcott are the names that immediately come to mind.
        You can also add Max Baer and John Henry Louis.

Comment

I didn't rate the Max Baer that Louis fought. He should have been hungry as hell after the Braddock fight. But barring one short spell in the fight he fought quite negatively, nothing like the guy who tore into Schmelling or Carnera a couple of years before.

Same for John Henry Louis, it couldn't really be argued that he was in peak form the day Louis destroyed him in one round.

Great names at one point but past their best when Louis fought them.

Comment

I wonder how many legally blind fighters would be permitted to enter a ring,let alone with the heavyweight champion of the world in todays scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post
              I wonder how many legally blind fighters would be permitted to enter a ring,let alone with the heavyweight champion of the world in todays scene.
              Chagaev and Brewster have had some eye problems.

Comment

Chagaev and Brewster suffered detached retinas like Ray Leonard did,but they're not completely blind in one eye like Lewis was.

Comment

joe louis was blind in one eye? from the start of his career?

Comment

You've lost your right to an opinion. Anyone who is afraid to post their own list shouldn't be allowed to just troll these boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X