Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Counterpuncher Style Require the Greatest Ring IQs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Counterpuncher Style Require the Greatest Ring IQs?

I see that all the smartest boxers today happen to be counterpunchers. Maybe it's just coincidence. Will someone well versed in boxing history school me here?

Any fighter that is any good is a counterpuncher, because that is when you land the cleanest, most effective punches. Punch when the other guy is punching. Even a guy that is constantly coming forward is basically a counter puncher in that his coming forward draws punches that he then counters off of.

Comment

Effective defensive aggression is harder to pull off than purely counter-punching, from personal experience anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Effective defensive aggression is harder to pull off than purely counter-punching, from personal experience anyway.
        what do you mean by effective defensive aggression? Mike Tyson and Julio Cesar Chavez?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          what do you mean by effective defensive aggression? Mike Tyson and Julio Cesar Chavez?
          I was thinking more Roberto-Duran esque but yes, moving in and defending at the same time all the while trying to get you punches off is a lot harder to do effectively than to wait on your opponent to make the first move.

Other people may have different experiences of course but, I try to play the role of boxer puncher when sparring and have tried fighting aggressive and have concluded it is much, much more difficult and tiring.

Other experiences may differ though.

Comment

in most negotiations (or exchanges,) it's best to act second, and it's best to act last.
            i dont care if you're throwing punches or offers across the table

or playing chess. i love a good chess game but anybody worth his salt will smoke me. set the traps.

does it take the most smarts? perhaps. i'd say that whatever wins a fight is smartest.
            is it the most intelligent way to box? it's best to have the ability to act second.

if you've got the skills and the steam (and you can keep away from getting hit or outworked by allowing your opponent to lead,) it can be a great way to win on the cards while doing less work

if you're a gifted puncher you can knock somebody the hell out as well, but that's done best if you're breaking somebody down.

and only the best of the best counterpunchers (with pop) break another good fighter down physically to the point where he cannot continue. that usually requires a fighter to take initiative and lead.
            Last edited by New England; 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Getting inside without getting hit is really hard against some guys. I'd say just getting inside is tougher than counter punching. That's just what I feel anyways.

Comment

The most intelligent way to fight is that which best suits your individual talents.

Poet

Comment

I would assume that boxers with little to no power that make it to the top require the most ring IQ. While fighters with awesome power require the least because if nothing else, they always have power to fall back on, the great equalizer.

Example Sweet Pea. Not many fighters could do what he did against who he did it against without better than average power.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                    I see that all the smartest boxers today happen to be counterpunchers. Maybe it's just coincidence. Will someone well versed in boxing history school me here?
                    Thats just coincidence and unfortunately many people today think that aggressive fighters think that they don't need a high ring IQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X