No announcement yet.

DAZN production value

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAZN production value

Last night I was sitting back watching the card which make no mistake was a PPV level fight. I didn’t have to spend 80$ nor did I have to find sone **** link to watch it. That in itself makes DAZN awesome. Assuming they keep signing fighters and don’t just start splitting them up and having them all face easily winnable fights to extend the content I love what’s happening.

Beyond that tho and maybe it’s just me but it just feels like the production value and immersion of the event is lacking. Maybe it’s cause I’ve been spoiled with HBO doing fights and same with Showtime both of which have fantastic production. I’m not even sure what it is the announcers, camera angles, the graphics the yellow colors (which I hate) you name it the point is I just never feel immersed or like I’m watching a high budget content like I do with HBO and Showtime and to a lesser extent ESPN.

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think am I being unfair, unrealistic, is it because they are still learning and looking for their niche? I’m rooting for DAZN I just hope they can find their stride and make their events as immersive as other networks.

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
    Last night I was sitting back watching the card which make no mistake was a PPV level fight. I didn’t have to spend 80$ nor did I have to find sone **** link to watch it. That in itself makes DAZN awesome. Assuming they keep signing fighters and don’t just start splitting them up and having them all face easily winnable fights to extend the content I love what’s happening.

Beyond that tho and maybe it’s just me but it just feels like the production value and immersion of the event is lacking. Maybe it’s cause I’ve been spoiled with HBO doing fights and same with Showtime both of which have fantastic production. I’m not even sure what it is the announcers, camera angles, the graphics the yellow colors (which I hate) you name it the point is I just never feel immersed or like I’m watching a high budget content like I do with HBO and Showtime and to a lesser extent ESPN.

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think am I being unfair, unrealistic, is it because they are still learning and looking for their niche? I’m rooting for DAZN I just hope they can find their stride and make their events as immersive as other networks.
    No, you are on point.

They need to do better in all the areas you mentioned.

HBO in their prime were the gold standard of production and giving fights that professional, big event feel.

Comment

I tend to agree, though also, this:

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=814133

Comment

I think your analysis of DAZN is accurate, genuine and very true. HBO and Showtine events does look and still looks better in my eyes. Not that we have DAZN here but we are able to see what you guys see over there, I think they would improve and master it as they go along.

Like you pointed out as long as they keep signing good/great boxers then hopefully they match them up with great competition. Great boxers doesn’t necessarily means great fights doe.

But I think with time, everything should or would fall in place, the commentary team needs to be looked at and reviewed every year, the production team need to be looked at and reviewed. They basically need to listen to the fans and change the necessary things that is needed to entice more fans.

Most boxing fans and casuals that I know are technology savvy, so they would get going after another 12 months.

Comment

I actually like the way dazn flowed, it had no stalling moments once the officall card (not undercard) kicked off, the only issue they had was because of Jacobs stalling in the back and that they couldnt control. They head segments ready to go, when vergil stopped herrera early boom no issue they had a good new segment that was related to the fight nigth ready to go and it seemed good, the problem I think is the commentators have no real personality, their voice dont carry or command your attention, they dont have the right balance of chrisma to fight nigth calls etc etc.

Comment

It was definitely better than that *****show PPV of Garcia/Spence. That was beyond cringeworthy.

Comment

They definitely f#cked up the Canelo entrance. But idk if thats on DAZN or T-Mobile. Either way it was some amateur hour sh^t. Think they even f#cked up the Jacobs entrance, but that seemed less obvious if they did.

That long blue light pause was awkward as f#ck lmfao. Feel like some guy in charge was yelling at some intern too much in the back over fixing the problem first & yelling later in those moments.

As to some of the specifics yea it doesn't seem very BIG FIGHT PPV level yet. That said this is really there first BIG FIGHT PPV so I suppose giving them some time to work on it is due.

But yea to go into specifics the commentator team is lackluster at best. I dig Sergio & have since his Contender days, but idk what he really adds to the show. He doesn't seem to offer as much fighter insight as most ex-boxer commentators do. And I was liking him at first, but he's gotten old fast. Mannix seems as fit for the job as that Kriegal-sp guy does with ESPN. Both are good boxing media guys, neither is a good announcer. Kenney is the only guy who seems at home & worthwhile on the commentary team to me. I won't be surprised at all if they make a play for Lampley (although that might mean putting Kenney in a different role) or RJJ at some future date who'll legitimize them more with their commentary team.

Randomly I'd even like DAZN to start to show some innovation with streaming & offer alternate commentary options for viewers (Fight Pass has already done that) & give us the option to view either corner at our choosing (Fight Pass was doing that already to) to start to show us why streaming is a superior form of watching live content. Give me these serious guys & give me a commentary team with Ak & Barak & Snoop Dog or Andrade or Joshua or some other boxer of note (I actually hate Ak & Barak lol, but DAZN has invested in them so lets use them) in a more loose & fun commentary option for fans. Or something like that you can play around with what makes sense or doesn't make sense, but being innovative & giving new things to consumers is whats going to get people on board with DAZN quicker.

Also wtf with that weird nose having guy sucking SRL's dick every time they would come on screen. That sh^t was just weird. "Calm down fanboy you'll get your autograph".

As to the graphics & that sorta sh^t I'm pretty indifferent to it. Everyone wants to brand themselves so DAZN copying HBO or Showtime isn't a likely move they'd wanna make. So I'm open to new looks with that sorta sh^t.

Camera angles. Sh^t I didn't really notice anything with that. I personally like that they don't do that classic HBO sh^t where they start the camera too far back at the start of the fight & close in slowly. Or I haven't noticed it if they are doing that dumb sh^t that makes zero sense to me.
              Last edited by Eff Pandas; 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Showtimes crew is by far the best right now. Would be awesome if Dazn could get those guys on their broadcast team.

Comment

- -Your glitter obsession tells you'd be better served in watching the latest Disney fare.

Ditch the expert wannabes for a single experienced commentator knows we ain't watching to hear him tell us what we should be seeing , but instead picks his moments for some context.

Expand the volume of the actual fight sounds including the crowd.

Now we're watching a fight and not some glitterfest. If the suits can't do that, at least give a commentator mute so I can listen to the whitewashed sounds of the fight.

Comment

Dan Rafael has said before that a lot of the HBO behind the scenes guys have migrated to DAZN. Its pretty much the same thing, where else were the HBO guys going to go?

Comment

Working...
                    X