Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet article from 1988 - Lou Nova interview.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet article from 1988 - Lou Nova interview.

With New Fight Facing Him, Lou Nova Focuses On the Many Memories of a Memorable Boxing Career
    July 24, 1988

LAS VEGAS — The old heavyweight pointed to the photographs on the wall, to the framed black-and-white of his 1941 bout against Joe Louis, and to another showing his knockout of Max Baer.

"Max Baer . . . ," Lou Nova said quietly. "Max Baer could hit harder than anyone. Harder than Sonny Liston. . . . Harder than Tyson? Oh, my yes. Listen, Mike Tyson isn't a great fighter yet. He will be, but he isn't yet."

In the late 1930s, the 6-foot 2-inch, 200-pound Nova came out of Alameda, Calif., with a crackling left jab, a knockout right hand and a dream that he would be the man to take Louis' heavyweight championship.

Lou Nova thinks a lot about the old days. Though a fit-looking 75, he is battling cancer.

James J. Corbett, like Nova, was a heavyweight from the Bay Area. In 1892, Corbett dethroned John L. Sullivan for the heavyweight championship.

"I can't get over the coincidence between Corbett and me," Nova said. "We're both from the same area, we both represented the San Francisco Olympic Club, we were both world amateur boxing champions, we were both prominent pro heavyweights, we both became Broadway actors, we were the only two boxers ever admitted to the Lamb's Club (for actors) in New York, and he died of cancer.

"Now I've got it. How do you like that? Makes you wonder . . . "

The morning sun was warming the sun porch in Nova's Las Vegas mobile home. The memories came tumbling down.

Of the 20 men Louis defeated during his championship years, Nova is one of the more interesting ones.

Born in Hollywood, Nova was the son of a symphony pianist. In the mid-1930s, he was a standout football player and javelin thrower at Alameda High School. He was recruited to play football at UC Davis, where he was, for one season, a single-wing tailback.

"If pro football players made any money in those days, I probably would have wound up playing pro ball," he said.

Of course, no one made much money in those days. Nova recalled a visit to a downtown Oakland boxing gym.

"Amateur boxing was very big in those days," he said. "Every big city in the country had thousands of amateur boxers. So I was a good high school athlete, and I figured I could box, too. So one day I walked into Duffy's Gym, around 1935. I was wearing cardboard soles in my shoes.

"Duffy's Gym was in the seedy part of town. The trainer there, Harold Broom, also owned a bar in the neighborhood, and the boxers who used the gym could always get a free bowl of hot stew at the bar. I lived on that stew.

"Well, I learned pretty quickly. I was the national (and world) amateur heavyweight champion in 1935. Max Baer's first manager, Ham Lorimar, was around the gym a lot, and he became my first manager, until he sold my contract for $10,000 to Ray Carlin."

Nova turned pro in 1936 and won his first 20 bouts, until losing a decision to Maxie Rosenbloom at Hollywood Legion Stadium in 1938. Nova then easily decisioned Britain's Tommy Farr before achieving his breakthrough victory, an 11th-round knockout of Baer in 1939.

"After that, I knew I'd eventually get my shot at Louis," Nova recalled. "So I signed for a fight with Tony Galento, with the winner guaranteed a shot at Louis. The Galento fight ruined me."

Nova fought Galento in Philadelphia. As The Times' Jim Murray described it decades later, "Galento should have been arrested that night for practicing surgery without a license."

The referee finally stopped it, in the 14th, and declared Galento the winner. The Associated Press reporter described the referee's shirt as blood-soaked "from collar to waist."

The reporter also called it "the most brutal bout of modern times."

"I was never the same after that fight," Nova said.

"See, my trainer then was Ray Arcel. Ray's still around. People think he's some kind of boxing genius. Let me tell you something. Ray Arcel didn't know anything about boxing. He'd never been a fighter. I never forgave him for letting that fight go that long.

"I'd never taken a beating before. I always assumed when you're taking a bad beating, your corner stops it. Mine didn't.

"They put me in the hospital for three days. To this day, I have no memory of anything in that fight after the third round, including the three days in the hospital.

"Physically, I bounced back. But mentally, never. I subconsciously promised myself never to let myself take that kind of beating again. I finally got my chance with Louis. But I wasn't the same fighter. I was cautious, very conservative. I really believe I'd have beaten him had I never fought Galento.

"Years later, people who knew Louis told me that Louis was afraid of me. He knew I'd beaten Tommy Farr worse than he did, but that it really bothered him that I'd knocked out Baer twice. And he knew that I had the best left jab in boxing in those days.

"Looking back on it all, I really believe I was the worst-managed fighter in history. I had ability, I'd shown that. All my life, I've wondered how far I'd have gone if my corner had stopped that Galento fight early."

Interesting that he thinks so little of Ray Arcel.

Perhaps that lends some ammunition to those who think it was really Freddie Brown who did the heavy lifting in molding Roberto Duran as a fighter.

Comment

Arcel IMO was predominantly a conditioning coach. A great one. Brown IMO was more of a boxing trainer.

Comment

Nova was a very good boxer, the accounts of the Galento bout was talked about for years and years. This forum considers Galento a joke but the truth is he was a very dangerous puncher and if he wasn't held in check when adding fouls in he was that more dangerous!
        Dempsey saw Galento and signed him because of the punching power! Dempsey found out down the road that Tony trained like a dog and his power came from hauling blocks of ice up floors in apartment buildings. After Galento talked sh*! to Dempsey Jack climbed in the ring and kicked his azz!

Nova was very good and the comment about Arcel is a little extreme but as mentioned before Freddy Brown trained Duran, Arcel was an adviser. I think Nova sparred with Louis in his younger days. A friend of mine from New Haven also sparred many camps with Louis, Nathan Mann. Mr. Mann helped me establish the Hamden Youth Boxing that eventually used my gym name Ring One.

Ray

Comment

Galento won 11 straight all by KO to get his title shot which he lost vs Louis. He capped his run off by a 14th round KO of Nova. So during that two year period he went 12-1 with twelve kos. Galento was no bum. He was a feared hwt during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            "I was never the same after that fight," Nova said.
            Great article. And how often haven't we seen a single fight taking its toll out of a fighter ...

Comment

The Galento vs Nova encounter was one of the dirtiest fights ever seen. The ref was admonished during and after the fight as the commission was for allowing Galento to continue to abuse Nova.
              Galento was a street fighter first and if he wasn't held in check he would try anything to gain the upper hand.

There's an old story of the actor Jackie Gleason talking some crap to Tony and Tony told him to be quiet or he'll take him out side and shut him up. Gleason in his younger days was a tough kid from Budfor-Sty. and was a pool hustler as a young guy.
              Well he went out side with Tony and Tony came back shortly!
              Jackie hung around in the alley!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Nova was a very good boxer, the accounts of the Galento bout was talked about for years and years. This forum considers Galento a joke but the truth is he was a very dangerous puncher and if he wasn't held in check when adding fouls in he was that more dangerous!
                Dempsey saw Galento and signed him because of the punching power! Dempsey found out down the road that Tony trained like a dog and his power came from hauling blocks of ice up floors in apartment buildings. After Galento talked sh*! to Dempsey Jack climbed in the ring and kicked his azz!

Nova was very good and the comment about Arcel is a little extreme but as mentioned before Freddy Brown trained Duran, Arcel was an adviser. I think Nova sparred with Louis in his younger days. A friend of mine from New Haven also sparred many camps with Louis, Nathan Mann. Mr. Mann helped me establish the Hamden Youth Boxing that eventually used my gym name Ring One.

Ray

Never heard of a gym encounter between Galento and Dempsey. Do you have any links, or do you know more about this?

Comment

The Dempsey Galento “fight” is very well known. A pissed Dempsey in his pin striped suit removes his jacket, puts on the gloves and utterly destroys Galento. Then calmly puts his jacket back on and leaves the gym.

Comment

Dempsey bought Galento contract because he saw Galento fight and was impressed by his power and thought if Tony could make a commitment to learn how to attack low and get into great shape that Tony would be a problem for anyone.
                    The problem was Tony loved to fight but hated training and wasn't willing to learn the techniques he needed to improve.
                    The story goes that he watched Tony in training (I think at Gleasons) and when he smart mouth off to the trainer Dempsey got pissed off and put a pair gloves and "showed" Tony how it was done. He then sold Tony's contract and walked away from the deal.

Word was that Tony asked Jack to "please stop" as Jack was giving him the business.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X