Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets End The Debate.......Did Ray Leonard Avoid A Showdown With Aaron Pryor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets End The Debate.......Did Ray Leonard Avoid A Showdown With Aaron Pryor?

This is one of the most debated subjects in the history of boxing. At one stage or another do you feel Ray Leonard avoided a fight with Aaron Pryor? If so state your reasons why.......

And if you feel this is just a myth, and Ray didn't avoid Pryor state your reasons........

I don't know why it's debated.Pryor was a junior welterweight with very little drawing power,and Ray Leonard was a welterweight and the biggest star in boxing.

I made a thread a month or so ago with a clip of Aaron Pryor stating that he turned down $500,000 to fight Ray Leonard.

The clip is no longer available but go find a copy of Pryor's fight with Lennox Blackmoore and watch his post fight interview with Howard Cossell.

Just a silly myth born from the HBO legendary night documentary series.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright-Eyes View Post
      I don't know why it's debated.Pryor was a junior welterweight with very little drawing power,and Ray Leonard was a welterweight and the biggest star in boxing.

I made a thread a month or so ago with a clip of Aaron Pryor stating that he turned down $500,000 to fight Ray Leonard.

The clip is no longer available but go find a copy of Pryor's fight with Lennox Blackmoore and watch his post fight interview with Howard Cossell.

Just a silly myth born from the HBO legendary night documentary series.
      I have heard people claim do that Leonard offered Pryor a small sum knowing he would reject it. Making it look like Pyor is avoiding him, by making Pryor a low amount offer!

Comment

No. It's all a myth. The timing was never right and no one at the time gave a **** about it. Full stop. It was never on cards as anything serious and all through his career they were divisions apart, literally.

The only time they were close was early on when Leonard was fighting guys like Duran, Hearns later, Benitez etc. At that time, Pryor hadn't won a title and was not even recognised as being a possible future opponent. The 140 division was not looked upon as anything great and neither was Pryor until he beat Arguello. BY that stage Leonard had already left 147.

It's a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
          I have heard people claim do that Leonard offered Pryor a small sum knowing he would reject it. Making it look like Pyor is avoiding him, by making Pryor a low amount offer!

It's not a small sum tho.It was atleast $450,000 more than what he had ever earned before.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            No. It's all a myth. The timing was never right and no one at the time gave a **** about it. Full stop. It was never on cards as anything serious and all through his career they were divisions apart, literally.

The only time they were close was early on when Leonard was fighting guys like Duran, Hearns later, Benitez etc. At that time, Pryor hadn't won a title and was not even recognised as being a possible future opponent. The 140 division was not looked upon as anything great and neither was Pryor until he beat Arguello. BY that stage Leonard had already left 147.

It's a myth.
            yes you are correct Benny.. Pryor fought his whole career at 140lbs.. Leonard was a 147lb fighter before moving upwards.. a fight with Leonard was never ever mooted.

Comment

Sorry folks but Aaron Pryor had every intention of fighting SRL, even if he had to go up in weight. It's were the money was. He (Pryor) even challenged Hit Man Hearns!! But they all looked the other way!!!!

Comment

Had had every intention and yet he turned down $500,000 to fight Ray Leonard

Where and when did Pryor challenge Hearns,or did you just make that up?

Comment

This should not be in question Leonard fought Finch in Feb. 1982 and then retired with a detached retna. Pryor didn't fight his first fight with Arguello til November of 1982. He wasn't a star really til after Leonard retired with the injury.

Comment

Hearns and Leonard would have killed Pryor..

I do recall a whisper with regard to SRL, but I believe this may have been when both were looking for a comeback opponent after both having eye surgery & drug problems, Pryor's being considerably worse..
                    Last edited by mickey malone; 01-12-2010, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X