Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did sugar ray robinson hang on too long?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did sugar ray robinson hang on too long?

He lost some fights at the end of his career that he would not have in his prime. Did some of his later losses effect his long term health?

I've heard that he worked out at the Main Street gym in LA, even sparring with guys like Ernie Lopez, well into the 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      He lost some fights at the end of his career that he would not have in his prime. Did some of his later losses effect his long term health?

He hung on way too long. They pretty much all do.....

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        He hung on way too long. They pretty much all do.....
        That is the sad truth

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          I've heard that he worked out at the Main Street gym in LA, even sparring with guys like Ernie Lopez, well into the 1970s.
          very interesting. Being in the game for so long must have made him develop a love for it. There was an interview where he said he doesn't particularly enjoy his work

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            very interesting. Being in the game for so long must have made him develop a love for it. There was an interview where he said he doesn't particularly enjoy his work
            I have seen that interview as well but boxing provided him a living that a poor lad from harlem would never obtain thru other area's of employment.

Comment

After he killed a rival in the ring he lost a lot of love for the sport then.

Comment

Love it or not, it was what he did and what gave him his identity.

Comment

So why did he stay active for so long? Did he not save his money or did he have tax trouble, like Louis?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    So why did he stay active for so long? Did he not save his money or did he have tax trouble, like Louis?
                    He had some tax trouble but not to the Joe Louis level. He demanded that he be paid cash under the table for one of his later fights, so the irs wouldn't be able to get its hands on his money.

SRR fought for a long time due to fast spending and bad business decisions.

I suppose this was good in the big picture. He may have not solidified himself as the GOAT had he not come out of retirement from being broke.

Comment

Working...
                    X