No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey's best wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey's best wins?

In the Floyd-Dempsey thread Willie and I started to talk about Jack's best wins. I thought it was pretty interesting and was kinda shocked at how unfamiliar I am with outside input on Dempsey's career. I'd like more folks to tell me who they reckon was Jack's best and why. Full career, not just title fights.

I'm just going to copy and paste the interaction between Willie and I that prompted the question to get this thread going:

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
    Dempsey's best wins all lost to black fighters.
    Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
    Who were these 'best wins'? --- Firpo lost to Wills by decision, with Wills only scoring a single KD on a cheap shot after the break, which the ref refused to acknowledge.

Dempsey destroyed Firpo a year earlier.

Willard never lost to a Black fighter.

Everyone beat Fulton, but only Dempsey stopped him with one punch, literally.

That leaves Brennan, Miske, and Gibbons. Did they lose to Black fighters?

Dempsey took Miske out in three, Brennan out in 12, and Gibbons stalled for 15 rounds.

How did the Black fighters do against them?

P.S. I forgot, Siki beat Carpentier, with the fight being stopped amidst controversy. Dempsey carried Carpenteir for four rounds, could have dumped him in he first if he hadn't promised Tex Rickard he wouldn't.
    Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
    That's fair, I think at the time I was referring to George and Firpo. Those are the names I am used to seeing, but, since that post I've had my first baby and boy I can't remember this or where I was mentally at all. So let's just go off yours and if I feel the need I'll add to it.

Willard is possibly the weakest full champion of all time. Full as in not a titlist or pretense. Lineal or undisputed = full. I like every champion before him more for sure and then after him there are only the 30s guys I am unsure of. I think Primo takes him though. Not so sure about Sharkey, Braddock, or Bear. I don't know them as well as i do Willard or Primo.

Maybe I'm harsh on him, but, I've never once seen anyone go in for Willard being anything but one of several giant white dudes in a series that lasted a while, while JJ reigned. Someone had to be there at the right time. I don't think I've seen anyone list Willard as a great win. Then again I did say Jack's best not his great wins so that's plenty fair. Given everyone else is sad sacks Willard's got to be one of the better.

Yes Firpo did lose to Wills but before that he lost to Dave Mills for the SA HW title.

Carpentier - Dixie Kid and Jeanette both took him out prior to Dempsey, not after. That's at least Siki, Dixie, and Joe who took him out.

Miske got beaten by Norfolk twice and each time Dempsey fought Miske afterward. Flynn called Dempsey a duck when Norfolk was trying to get the Dempsey fight.

I'll give you Gibbons free and clear. To be honest no one ever acts like he's a good HW from the era but clearly he was. I don't think I had ever looked at him prior. Good HW, fought blacks and foreigners too, and, won.

Brennan I'm not so sure about. He didn't seem to fight black men himself and so it's difficult to just give him a pass. He's lost to men who lost to colored champions and has no wins over anyone with wins over colored champions. Dude's really an Irish domestic level fighter who got the Dempsey lottery.

That covered, I did say his best wins, not his best wins as champion.

Porky Dan - Norfolk, Jeanette, John Lester, and Langford

Pelkey - Norfolk, Jeanette, Battling Jim, and McVea. I think maybe Wills too but I don't remember and didn't pull him up. It's not that important given that's already four names.

Gunboat - Norfolk, Wills, and Tate

Fireman - Langford and Jack Johnson, to my knowledge...dude had a big career. Probably should have said that about a lot of these guys actually. Not like Gunboat had a small one.

Sharkey was a good win wasn't he? He only lost to Louis to my knowledge. Had wins over some good colored champ prior to the Jack fight and did not lose to one until after the Jack fight. I'd give Dempsey Sharkey.

So, in my opinion, his best wins in order:

Sharkey
    Gibbons
    Willard
    Brennan

There are plenty of names that jump out at me but not knowing where they were at the time makes me more leary to speak to them.

It's not Wills I bother Jack's fans over. It's Norfolk. Clearly Norfolk was one of the best p4p and HWs of his era and never got a fair shake. I mean just look at how often I mention him and the chronology that goes with. Dempsey should have fought Norfolk for sure.

I don't think Miske, Firpo, Carpentier, Porky, Fireman, or Gunboat were all that great tbh. Regardless of how often it's said they were. Levinsky is a man I need to study. Probably a great win actually, I just don't know him well.

You named 5 and only 2 don't have losses. One I'm not sure even a black man. Only one man you named was a clear contender. The others are muddied by the racism of the era.

Last edited by Marchegiano; 12-15-2020, 09:57 AM.

He never beat an all-time great in his prime.

But Jack Sharkey is his best win.

Second probably Tommy Gibbons, although he struggled to a decision against him while Gene Tunney would knock Gibbons out two years later.

Third perhaps Carpentier, who he outweighed by 16 pounds.

In my opinion those were his opponents who had the best fighting skills.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 11-25-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Dempsey did not “struggle” to a decision over Gibbons. He struggled to knock him out, Yes. Gibbons fought to survive from the very first round by covering up and running. He never initiated an offense for Dempsey to counter.

Comment

Houdini is correct ...a top win would include blevinsky

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          Dempsey did not “struggle” to a decision over Gibbons. He struggled to knock him out, Yes. Gibbons fought to survive from the very first round by covering up and running. He never initiated an offense for Dempsey to counter.
          Dempsey struggled for 15 rounds to knock Gibbons out, then.

Something Gene Tunney didn't struggle with 2 years later.

Comment

Dempsey won going away. Tunney stated later this was Dempseys greatest performance.

Comment

Dempseys 18 second ko of Fred Fulton may be the best win of any heavyweight champion pre title.

Dempseys speed and ability to literally throw his body weight behind his blows with the only thing stopping his fists being the vital areas of his opponents body made him especially deadly

Comment

He beat the guy who KTFO Jack Johnson. Made easy work of him.

He beat Sharkey who pummeled Wills. He twice fight Tunney and should have won the rematch due to long count. Wills ducked Tunney to fight Sharkey.

Firpo, Gibbons, Miske, Gunboat all solid wins.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  He beat the guy who KTFO Jack Johnson. Made easy work of him.

He beat Sharkey who pummeled Wills. He twice fight Tunney and should have won the rematch due to long count. Wills ducked Tunney to fight Sharkey.

Firpo, Gibbons, Miske, Gunboat all solid wins.

I think what you mean is:

Used bicycle tape against a Willard who hadn't fought in 3 years.

Ducked the hell out of Wills.

Ducked old Joe Jeannette.

Ducked old and blind Sam Langford.

Got KOed in 1 by Jim Flynn.

Facts.

It begs the question. I wonder how many other times he used bicycle tape. Funny that when Tunney prohibited the use of it, Dempsey lost.
                  Last edited by travestyny; 11-25-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                    Dempseys 18 second ko of Fred Fulton may be the best win of any heavyweight champion pre title.
                    I seem to have confused him with Frank Morran for some reason.

Not a bad one for sure, Fulton was doing well when Dempsey fought him. 6'6" and upward of 200lb and 84 inch reach, not a bad scalp for Dempsey at all.

If you have anything you could say about Fulton I can't get on Boxrec that'd be cool.

It's too bad Willard didn't give him a shot, probably would have been a good fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X