No announcement yet.

Do you train in the opposite stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you train in the opposite stance?

For instance, if you are orthodox, do u ever train/spar southpaw?

Just wondering if its beneficial.

I used to just switch stance on the bags and pad's each round.

I think it is commonsense really, to have some sort of ability 'To switch stance', IT is only going to pose more issues for your opponent 'I would imagine there are many top professional boxers out there that can switch stance etc'.

Very rarely do you see fighters who are equally as compotent in each stance, but some fighters such as Prince Naseem Hamed, Roy Jones Junior, Tyson Fury, Andre Ward can switch stance if need be etc

Comment

It is common sense ina way to learn both especially since if your either left or right handed its naturally easier to lead with ur strong hand. So whenever u start out in the sport of boxing u tend to lean on ur strong side then learn to use ur back hand, I would think its smarter to lead with ur strong hand since no matter how good u get with ur back hand in either stance ur natural strong hand will always feel stronger an faster throwing it. So that old school way of fighting with ur weak hand as ur lead hand I think is outdated well jus look up what Andre Ward had to say about all this

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        For instance, if you are orthodox, do u ever train/spar southpaw?

Just wondering if its beneficial.

no

and don't listen to anyone who says they do

best general training advice... run EVERYTHING past your coach

there are only a handful of fighters at the top level who can/have switch-hit successfully

by successfully... I don't mean, they didn't get knocked the fk out... I mean, they actually achieved something against a top-level opponent without... a) reducing their own effectiveness/threat... b) providing their opponent with opportunities

plenty of fighters do it, in spots... but very few do it effectively

not talking about shifting, talking about fighting in the opposite stance... plenty do it, and almost all of them have PLENTY to learn/develop in their traditional stance... so I gotta wonder why they have wasted so much valuable training time working on a style that is highly unlikely to ever be as effective as their traditional style

I love it when fighters switch and immediately cop a right hand down the pipe... funny as fk

Mayweather likely has the best skillset EVER... he is not the greatest, or even close... but his skills as a total package, are next level... his technique is nearly flawless, when he was prime Mayweather had ... a highly educated jab, one of the best you will see... super accurate with GREAT instinctive timing... he had the best lead right-hand in the game, the best jab to the stomach in the game, the best defence in the game, the best IQ in the game... I will stop there

ask yourself why Mayweather only ever fought orthodox ?

first point... Mayweather, and PLENTY of others (nearly all of the genuine All Time Greats) have already proved that switching is unnecessary.. very few did it

second-point... fighting at the top level is mostly instinctive

a genuine world-class fighter (my definition of world-class) who is right at the top of his game... is living in a world of millimetres, not inches... the package you see is the culmination of a lifetimes work, not a 12-week camp... it took a lifetime of effort, building, developing, HONING to get to that point... and every fighter is on the brink of sudden violent failure... keyword = "honing"

honing... refining to the point of being as sharp as possible

fighting at the top level is largely instinctive... if you think, you are gone... fighters do not think at that level, they react instinctively... the thinking happened over the last 20 years along the journey

training in both stances can be detrimental, most coaches will not train kids to fight in both stances... it is more important to start training/developing the technique and split-second instincts that fighters need rather than complicate, and possibly unlearn/hinder, development in the main area that you should be focusing on

multi-tasking = how to fcuk up more than one thing simultaneously

fighters tend to pick up switching later, looking to add another "string" to their bow... but very few ever develop their off-stance to the point where they are as instinctive, therefore effective... because it's all about millimetres at that level

most of the best fighters in history did not need to develop it, and I cannot think of any top ATG's who had a insurmountable problem with southpaws or switch-hitters

most young fighters are fooling themselves when they think that they are making it difficult for their opponent... what they are usually doing, is reducing their own effectiveness and defence

very few fighters are good enough to switch effectively at the top level against a top opponent... it has happened, sure... but only as a rare exception

every fighter who trained in both stances, and did not become a world champion... wasted his time fcuking around doing dumb shlt when he should have been developing/honing the instincts that would carry his career the farthest

the level that your primary skills/abilities can reach, is what will determine success... a bit of additional variety... will not achieve very much, and may not be helpful at all... I see switching get younger/developing fighters in trouble all the time

guys who think that they can simply slip in a bit of practice as a lefty, and be just as good... are dreaming... it takes YEARS to hone your instincts... and switching is more effective against lower-level opponents, but as your opposition improves it will become less effective... the handful of fighters that switched successfully (at the top level), were usually exceptionally gifted with textbook technique... and they likely started practicing in their off-stance as a kid

sorry, that went on a bit long
        Last edited by aboutfkntime; 09-01-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Nope.

Other than occasionally practicing shifting.

Comment

Why be mediocre at two stances when you could be perfect at one?

Sometimes during exchanges you’ll end up facing someone from the other southpaw angle and being able
            To throw a good shot there can help catch a guy by surprise. But other Than that I don’t believe in it.

Comment

I'm not a boxing coach, but I certainly recommend it, for these reasons:

1. Training in a switched stance conditions and strengthens your muscles on both sides of your body more evenly, resulting in less risk of injury and less physical ailments as you age. You also fatigue slower in the muscles used to throw punches.

2. If you get caught out of position it's important to be at least a little bit competent in switch until you can get back to normal.

3. It's a great sneak attack , most effective in street fights.

4. I find that I learn more about, and pay more attention to the technique of my punches in both stances when I box switch stance, most likely because it's a lot harder.

I have found through personal experience that switching is imperative in hockey fighting, and important in street/ cage fighting. Half of my big knockout punches have been from switch stance with my "weaker" arm, but never have I started out switch stance intentionally. I have been tagged a few times but have never been dropped by an opponent when they've switched their stance. In boxing another human, I have found it somewhat useful , albeit more vulnerable defensively.

If you are just boxing just for exercise, a 50-50 ratio would be perfect. If you are boxing competitively, then maybe 10%. For street and cage fighting, somewhere in between those two numbers.

Happy brawling!
              Last edited by Grocery Stick; 09-02-2020, 01:27 AM. Reason: Terrible grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Grocery Stick View Post
                I'm not a boxing coach, but I certainly recommend it, for these reasons:

1. Training in a switched stance conditions and strengthens your muscles on both sides of your body more evenly, resulting in less risk of injury and less physical ailments as you age. You also fatigue slower in the muscles used to throw punches.

I have never heard of that being a problem... boxing in general is a pretty complete workout

2. If you get caught out of position it's important to be at least a little bit competent in switch until you can get back to normal.

just straight fundamentals are enough... good footwork, duck, roll... or shift/skip-step... remaining in his least capable stance can limit a fighter, and also leave him vulnerable... especially against a good opponent

3. It's a great sneak attack , most effective in street fights.

4. I find that I learn more about, and pay more attention to the technique of my punches in both stances when I box switch stance, most likely because it's a lot harder.

I have found through personal experience that switching is imperative in hockey fighting, and important in street/ cage fighting. Half of my big knockout punches have been from switch stance with my "weaker" arm, but never have I started out switch stance intentionally. I have been tagged a few times but have never been dropped by an opponent when they've switched their stance. In boxing another human, I have found it somewhat useful , albeit more vulnerable defensively.

If you are just boxing just for exercise, a 50-50 ratio would be perfect. If you are boxing competitively, then maybe 10%. For street and cage fighting, somewhere in between those two numbers.

Happy brawling!

pretty sure the TS is referring to boxing, probably competitive boxing

I definitely get the feeling that you are talking about... mucking around in the back yard, as opposed to training seriously?

for general fitness, etc... do whatever you like

for serious boxing... I would suggest run everything past your trainer first

Comment

Yes. I spar rounds lefty to work on things. Typically I'll box lefty with less experienced guys

Comment

So who would prefer to fight at a mediocre rate in two stances rather than mastering one stance. Master one stanch then by all means switch it up in training if you want. The 'show off' guys end up getting starched in many instances. MASTER one stance and then we could talk about switching up. But few have even spent the time to truly learn even one stance, let alone two..……......Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 09-04-2020, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X