No announcement yet.

The wealth gap between whites and minorities is at its widest in 25 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wealth gap between whites and minorities is at its widest in 25 years

From 2005 to 2009, inflation-adjusted median wealth fell by 66% among Hispanic households and 53% among black households, compared with just 16% among white households.

As a result of these declines, the typical black household had just $5,677 in wealth (assets minus debts) in 2009; the typical Hispanic household had $6,325 in wealth; and the typical white household had $113,149.

Worse, 35% of African Americans and 31% of Hispanics reported zero or negative net worth in 2009. By contrast, only 15% of white households were in the same boat.

Pew implies that black and Latino households have less investment savings in vehicles like 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts than white households, and thus didn’t benefit from a bounce back in the U.S. stock market starting in 2009. In addition, black and Latino households relied more on unsecured debt (like credit cards) than did white households, further widening the wealth gap.

Also, blacks and Hispanics are more likely to live in concentrated areas where housing values declined more sharply, contributing to further wealth reductions, Pew says.

It’s not a pretty picture, and it’s not a trend that should turn around soon. Until the jobs picture improves and the housing market rebounds, the U.S. has not only a government debt-gap problem but also a demographic wealth-gap problem.

And a big one, at that.

Brian O’Connell is a Doylestown, Pa.-based freelance writer with 15 years’ experience covering business news and trends, particularly in the financial, health care and career-management sectors. A former Wall Street bond trader and the author of 14 books, O’Connell has written for dozens of national business publications, including the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, TheStreet.com, Yahoo! Finance and CBS Marketwatch.

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2011/07/26...#ixzz1TGzT2s3c
    http://moneyland.time.com/2011/07/26...es-minorities/

Why always compare whites with blacks and latinos and not asians? Prolly because asians are on average richer, cause we all know asians are smartest on average and work the hardest on average according to studies.

Comment

Originally posted by Xercen View Post
      Why always compare whites with blacks and latinos and not asians? Prolly because asians are on average richer, cause we all know asians are smartest on average and work the hardest on average according to studies.
      The guy I drop my dry cleaning off at tells me that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RachelB View Post
        The guy I drop my dry cleaning off at tells me that all the time.
        Karma given, that was funny.

Comment

yet im poor as hell.. lucky i'm not black, would probably be homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K10 View Post
            Karma given, that was funny.
            Awesome! Chups, Kadyo or Dehydrator will take it away soon enough though =)

Comment

This is probably true for some asian groups, but not the one frequenting this board.

Comment

.....Not all Asians & and I think it was last year that they did a study that found Mexico to be the hardest working nation in the civilized world. With Japan being second.

It's really not hard to figure out. Asians are better off when compared to their other fellow minorities. So their kids end up doing better. They get a head start as oppose to blacks or Latinos.

Comment

Originally posted by RachelB View Post
                  Awesome! Chups, Kadyo or Dehydrator will take it away soon enough though =)
                  I know quite a few high rep people myself. But I like those guys. I don't know why they're hated now.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    .....Not all Asians & and I think it was last year that they did a study that found Mexico to be the hardest working nation in the civilized world. With Japan being second.

It's really not hard to figure out. Asians are better off when compared to their other fellow minorities. So their kids end up doing better. They get a head start as oppose to blacks or Latinos.
                    It's very much a cultural thing. Kind of like how immigrants from Iran does a ****load better than immigrants from iraq.

Doing well at academics is superimportant in many asian groups.

Comment

Working...
                    X