No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kieran Farrell Boxing Career Over Due To Injuries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kieran Farrell Boxing Career Over Due To Injuries

Heywood's Kieran Farrell, 14-1 (3), has been left devastated after his doctor confirmed that the head injuries sustained in December's 10-round decision defeat to Anthony Crolla for the vacant English lightweight have ended his boxing career.

'Dr Hewitt confirmed my worst fears today. I will never box again,' said Farrell, who broke the bad news via a statement earlier this evening. 'The next punch to my head could be fatal and the BBBofC wouldn't licence me. I asked if I had a four-year long break would I be able to box? He told me I have long-term brain damage and once its damaged it won't mend. I was expecting the worse but its worse when it’s told to you, I'm heart broke. I need a few days to get my head round it.' [Click Here To Read More]

Czar Amonsot and Edwin Valero had brain hemorrhages but kept on fighting. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but to say "the next punch may be fatal" seems a bit dramatic. On the other hand, maybe the place where the vein tore is more susceptible to tears in the future.

Comment

Damn that's sad, nothing more heart wrenching than watching guys who put in work for years have to hang it up due to injury before they even get their real chance to shine. Life is more important than any sport in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
        Czar Amonsot and Edwin Valero had brain hemorrhages but kept on fighting. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but to say "the next punch may be fatal" seems a bit dramatic. On the other hand, maybe the place where the vein tore is more susceptible to tears in the future.
        Without meaning any disrespect to Venezuela or the Philippines (two countries I've visited & love) the British National Health Service will probably look out for it's citizens a little more.

Once they actually get them off the trolley in the corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post

Comment

A real shame for Farrell, his health is the important thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
              Without meaning any disrespect to Venezuela or the Philippines (two countries I've visited & love) the British National Health Service will probably look out for it's citizens a little more.

The NHS isn't great, but it's free (Well we do pay taxes)

They have some of the best doctors in the World, however they have so much to do because there are so many ill.

Some hospitals are better than others. The one near Big Ben was superb. Maybe because it's in a wealthy area.

I collapsed for 30 minutes after running 8 miles once and they did a great job. I didn't eat, and had heat stroke, severe dehydration and had no sugar in my system. It was my own fault for running from 5 miles on when I kept seeing grey. Never fainted before so now I know when to stop. I ran up to 18 miles so it wasn't because I was unfit, but because I stupidly didn't eat food or drink for nearly 24 hours and had diarrhoea.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
                it's more that the risk of life in boxing is palpable enough without increasing the threat of fatality so greatly.

Comment

Some humans are stronger than others.

Boxers at the top level, along with other sports recover faster, or are totally more durable. We take it for granted that these boxers are conditioned to take hits over and over.

Comment

Working...
                  X