Riddick Bowe ducked Lewis: for the final time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddick Bowe ducked Lewis: for the final time

Part 1:
    "While he was incarcerated, the WBC ordered a title eliminator between No. 1 ranked Razor Ruddock and No. 2 ranked Riddick Bowe, which was accepted by both in writing. After making such commitment, Bowe decided to pull out of the agreement and instead fight Pierre Coetzer of South Africa. The WBC then ordered the eliminator to be between Ruddock and No. 3 ranked Lennox Lewis, with the winner to be the official challenger for the world championship; Lewis won the fight. Main Events, who had the promotional rights to Holyfield, informed the WBC that Holyfield would not fight Lewis because he did not have a marketable name, but would fight Bowe instead. The Holyfield vs Bowe fight was authorized by the WBC with the condition that the winner fight Lewis. Bowe won the title, but instead of honoring his written agreement to fight Lewis, he refused to pay the WBC sanctioning fee and threw the championship belt into a London waste basket.
    http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/wbc10-7.htm
    Part 2:
    If Bowe won and then failed to meet the council's conditions, the W.B.C. would install the Lewis-Ruddock winner as its champion. "The W.B.C. will recognize the winner of the Oct. 31 fight as the W.B.C. champion of the world if the winner on Nov. 13 doesn't fight him," Sulaiman said.

Sulaiman said that both Holyfield and Bowe had agreed in writing to defend the crown against the Lewis-Ruddock winner, but that Bowe was having second thoughts. Americans Holyfield and Bowe fight for the world title at the Mirage in Las Vegas, Nev., on Nov. 13.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/28/sp...l?pagewanted=1
    Part 3
    The first fight offer:
    Rock Newman initial offer to Lewis was a 90/10 split
    It was Maloney who offered Bowe a 75/25 split in Bowes favour, which Newman rejected.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6794,6164845
    Part 4
    The second fight offer:
    The terms were that Lewis had to Vacate his belt:
    That offer last February, rejected by Lewis' financial advisers, was for a reported $10 million, but came with the addendum that Lewis must first relinquish his WBC belt.
    Lewis had give $5M of his purse to Duva:
    But the biggest stumbling block in reaching an agreement remains Duva, who has a three-fight option on Bowe, giving him a percentage of his pay-per-view earnings.

"I don't owe Dan Duva anything," Newman said. "I'm giving his guy [Lewis] $12 million, and they can divide it up any way they like. But he's not also going to dip into Bowe's pot at the same time. But if I were Lewis, I'd take this offer in a New York minute."
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ewman-dan-duva

A person familiar with the talks, however, said that Newman's offer was not quite what it seemed. One condition of the proposal, the person said, is that Dan Duva, Lewis's promoter, surrender his options to participate in Bowe's next three fights. Duva's share in a Bowe-Lewis fight, about $5 million, would have to come from Lewis's purse, not from Newman's.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/10/sp...l?pagewanted=1

And there you have it.

Whether the politics is right or wrong doesn't really matter. Who would honestly favour the Lewis who got outboxed by Bruno and later KO'd by McCall over the Bowe that beat Holyfield?

Lennox peaked in the late 90s, in 1992/93 Bowe was clearly the best heavyweight in the world.

Comment

some people just dont get it TS

lewis > bowe

Comment

Originally posted by british_fan View Post
        some people just dont get it TS

lewis > bowe
        I agree.
        Bowe had the skills and the trainer (Futch), but just not the confidence to take the fight, at the end of the day Lewis will always be ranked higher than Bowe.

Comment

Yes Lennox will go down with the better legacy. I just dont see him winning the Bowe fight.

Never mind, its all in the past, I'm a fan of them both so hell its just interesting to speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Yes Lennox will go down with the better legacy. I just dont see him winning the Bowe fight.

Never mind, its all in the past, I'm a fan of them both so hell its just interesting to speculate.
            Bowe was a great fighter, he could slip punches, great jab and best of all he could fight on the inside, which is a lost art this days. Shame his prime lasted for about one fight, that Bowe who fought Holyfield I, I would give a chance against anyone. Futch is an amazing trainer as well

Bowe-Tyson, know that would of been a fight

Comment

Honestly, nobody really even cares about Lennox Lewis, except for you.

Why is it so important for you to convince everybody here to share the same love for Lewis that you do?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7wFR8dJYg (1988 Olympic Final)

The first round is fairly even with Lewis landing a telling right hook 10 seconds to go. Bowe is then called for headbutting and a few seconds later Lewis lands a big overhand right just before the bell to edge the round.

The commentator says that 'both men can punch, which means anything can happen. But Lewis has more technical variety'.

Lewis's corner obviously has a chat with him and he comes out in the second round straight for Bowe, smothering him against the ropes with big shots. Bowe is given a standing count. Lewis then goes on the offensive again and the commentators remark that Bowe needs to get his act together soon.

Lewis lands a huge right hand, the referee gives Bowe his second count and then stops the fight in order to prevent serious damage.

Result: Lennox Lewis via KO (Round 2)

Comment

Hi Hellboy,

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Sugarj

Bowe was a great fighter, he could slip punches, great jab and best of all he could fight on the inside, which is a lost art this days. Shame his prime lasted for about one fight, that Bowe who fought Holyfield I, I would give a chance against anyone. Futch is an amazing trainer as well

Bowe-Tyson, know that would of been a fight

Yes totally agree with you there in both cases. 88 Tyson vs 92 Bowe......hell tough fight to pick there.

Comment

If it was the other way around Lewis would be a laughing stock,Bowes ducking was disgraceful.
                    Bowe didnt share the confidence in himself that a few people on here do otherwise he wouldnt have ducked Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                    X