Collapse
No announcement yet.

tried to cook a steak today and it came out tough,any chefs pls help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] tried to cook a steak today and it came out tough,any chefs pls help

here was my process, please tell me what i did wrong. this was a top sirloin cut, a particularly thick piece too.

1. laid out the steak and let it rest for 30 minutes (it was still a bit cold but i got impatient)

2. i made sure to dry the outside of the steak with paper towels

3. i rubbed on some olive oil, salt, pepper on both sides

4. i pre heated my stainless steel pan to very high

5. i put in some ghee (cooking fat) to coat the pan (although i don't think this was needed as the steak was already coated with oil)

6. i dropped the steak in, lowered heat to medium, and flipped it every two minutes or so, but i wasn't keeping track very well. all in all it was in the pan on medium heat for at least 7 to 10 minutes i'd say.

7. as I was in the final stages, i dropped in a tbsp of butter and basted the steak on both sides with the melted butter.

8. then i transferred it to my plate and let it sit while i grilled up some asparagus on the side.

what i was aiming for was a delicious medium rare steak cooked to perfection..., but when it was all said and done, i cut into the steak and it was very pink on the inside but the process of eating it was very tough and hard to chew. i ate it all but i honestly felt like it went to waste because of how bad it turned out.

what did i do wrong???
    Last edited by Shaolin Sword; 08-24-2017, 10:09 PM.

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
    here was my process, please tell me what i did wrong. this was a top sirloin cut, a particularly thick piece too.

1. laid out the steak and let it rest for 30 minutes (it was still a bit cold but i got impatient)

2. i made sure to dry the outside of the steak with paper towels

3. i rubbed on some olive oil, salt, pepper on both sides

4. i pre heated my stainless steel pan to very high

5. i put in some ghee (cooking fat) to coat the pan (although i don't think this was needed as the steak was already coated with oil)

6. i dropped the steak in, lowered heat to medium, and flipped it every two minutes or so, but i wasn't keeping track very well. all in all it was in the pan on medium heat for at least 7 to 10 minutes i'd say.

7. as I was in the final stages, i dropped in a tbsp of butter and basted the steak on both sides with the melted butter.

8. then i transferred it to my plate and let it sit while i grilled up some asparagus on the side.

what i was aiming for was a delicious medium rare steak cooked to perfection..., but when it was all said and done, i cut into the steak and it was very pink on the inside but the process of eating it was very tough and hard to chew. i ate it all but i honestly felt like it went to waste because of how bad it turned out.

what did i do wrong???
    Dog is not steak

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
      Dog is not steak
      beef is beef kid.

Comment

Don't flip the steak a lot. You're wasting all of the juices.

Comment

Dog is not steak
          beef is beef kid.

For real I'm not sure what went wrong. Was it a cheap cut of steak or something?

Sounds like you did everything right.

Comment

and for those who said i cooked it too long,what should i have aimed for???

it was a very thick cut and i was scared that hte inside wouldn't get cooked all the way like the last time i tried to make steak. the last time i made it the outside had a nice crust from searing but the inside was bloody as hell. i probably almost contracted salmonelo disease or ebola. so i tried to avoid that this time but i think i may have over done it????

or do u think it was just the cut that was bad? it was the cheapest priced option at sam's club.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post

For real I'm not sure what went wrong. Was it a cheap cut of steak or something?

Sounds like you did everything right.
              it was relatively cheap in price but they look like solid cuts. i bougt them at sams club.

Comment

and for those who said i cooked it too long,what should i have aimed for???

it was a very thick cut and i was scared that hte inside wouldn't get cooked all the way like the last time i tried to make steak. the outside had a nice crust from searing but the inside was bloody as hell. i probably almost contracted salmonelo disease or ebola. so i tried to avoid that this time but i think i may have over done it????

or do u think it was just the cut that was bad? it was the cheapest priced option at sam's club.
                Salmonelo? Lol dumb **** cant spell, plus you get that from raw chicken dumbass

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                  Don't flip the steak a lot. You're wasting all of the juices.
                  i've read about this and it's not true.

there are only two acceptable ways to cook a steak, constant flipping (1 minute each side), or 3-4 minutes on one side, 4-5 minutes on the other side. some world renown chefs (even gordan ramsey and jamie oliver prefer the constant flip method for more even cooking)

Comment

Salmonelo? Lol dumb **** cant spell, plus you get that from raw chicken dumbass
                    oh really? because i almost contracted it from your moms raw vagina.

Comment

Working...
                    X