No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux's Wasted Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigondeaux's Wasted Career

I see a lot of people blaming HBO for not promoting Rigo, but I honestly don't blame the former. Rigo hasn't fought any notable opponents since Donaire. I understand that every decent fighter at 122 ran to 126, but Loma was willing to fight him at 126. If Rigo beat Loma, Mares, Frampton and Santa Cruz wouldn't have any excuses to avoid him. Not only that, but it would've been an easier fight, since he was younger, only had to move up 4 pounds, and could fight a less experienced Loma. Instead, he chose to stay at 122, fighting nobodies. Now, for some odd reason, he's willing to fight Loma at 130, even though 126 was apparently too much for him in 2015. Rigo is 37 years old, jumping up 8 pounds in his first time fighting above 122, against the best boxer at 130. Honestly, if he didn't like his chances against Loma, he could've at least tried to make a name for himself at 126. It would've been better than fighting bums at 122 for 4 years, then fighting Loma at the tail-end of his career. HBO couldn't market Rigo, mainly because nobody wants to spend years watching a fighter demolish obviously outmatched opponents, especially when there's another HBO fighter destroying actual talent.

Why do you guys think Rigondeaux's career went into the trashcan?

Was probably playing hard to get hoping he'd be offered more.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
      I see a lot of people blaming HBO for not promoting Rigo, but I honestly don't blame the former. Rigo hasn't fought any notable opponents since Donaire. I understand that every decent fighter at 122 ran to 126, but Loma was willing to fight him at 126. If Rigo beat Loma, Mares, Frampton and Santa Cruz wouldn't have any excuses to avoid him. Not only that, but it would've been an easier fight, since he was younger, only had to move up 4 pounds, and could fight a less experienced Loma. Instead, he chose to stay at 122, fighting nobodies. Now, for some odd reason, he's willing to fight Loma at 130, even though 126 was apparently too much for him in 2015. Rigo is 37 years old, jumping up 8 pounds in his first time fighting above 122, against the best boxer at 130. Honestly, if he didn't like his chances against Loma, he could've at least tried to make a name for himself at 126. It would've been better than fighting bums at 122 for 4 years, then fighting Loma at the tail-end of his career. HBO couldn't market Rigo, mainly because nobody wants to spend years watching a fighter demolish obviously outmatched opponents, especially when there's another HBO fighter destroying actual talent.

Why do you guys think Rigondeaux's career went into the trashcan?
      Terrible management. But Rigo himself is to blame for much of it. He was complacent and stubborn. I’m convinced he was content to let his people handle his career, and not take more responsibility. And when it became clear fans weren’t happy with his style, he refused to give them what they wanted.

This Lomachenko fight is an act of desperation. Rigo knows the end is near. He needs a good payday. But it won’t be enough. This great talent squandered the little time he had to make some real money.

Comment

roc nation and boxing=

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Terrible management. But Rigo himself is to blame for much of it. He was complacent and stubborn. I’m convinced he was content to let his people handle his career, and not take more responsibility. And when it became clear fans weren’t happy with his style, he refused to give them what they wanted.

This Lomachenko fight is an act of desperation. Rigo knows the end is near. He needs a good payday. But it won’t be enough. This great talent squandered the little time he had to make some real money.
          Pretty much this. I think he over estimated his own worth and standing. He should have at least fought top contenders or maybe lure a champion from 118 up or move to 126 sooner be it he was adamant that the Boxing world ran around the 122 division.

He could have taken the Lomachenko fight 18 months ago at 126 now he's forced to go to 130 probably for the same money and now more likely a worse beating which won't leave him with as many options.

Poor management and stubbornness indeed. Also when it's clear your style isn't appealing to the average fan you've gotta do something different to create some excitement and make some noise to make people take notice or gain new fans. He didn't. He blew some good opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            Pretty much this. I think he over estimated his own worth and standing. He should have at least fought top contenders or maybe lure a champion from 118 up or move to 126 sooner be it he was adamant that the Boxing world ran around the 122 division.

He could have taken the Lomachenko fight 18 months ago at 126 now he's forced to go to 130 probably for the same money and now more likely a worse beating which won't leave him with as many options.

Poor management and stubbornness indeed. Also when it's clear your style isn't appealing to the average fan you've gotta do something different to create some excitement and make some noise to make people take notice or gain new fans. He didn't. He blew some good opportunities.
            Rigo had the ability to make fights exciting, but he just won't do it. He is content with stunking the joint out.

Comment

Agree 100%. We definitely see eye-to-eye here, brother.

Damn shame. I watched Rigo from the time he won his first gold medal. When he defected, I was so excited to see what he would do in the pros. I remember being laughed at on this forum when I said that Rigo was the most talented of the Cuban boxers, more talented than Gamboa.

Now Guillermo’s career is winding down, and it will never rise to the promise it once showed. Maybe, just maybe, he’ll salvage a glimmer of what could have been with a victory over Lomo. That and his victory over Nonito would say something. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                Agree 100%. We definitely see eye-to-eye here, brother.

Damn shame. I watched Rigo from the time he won his first gold medal. When he defected, I was so excited to see what he would do in the pros. I remember being laughed at on this forum when I said that Rigo was the most talented of the Cuban boxers, more talented than Gamboa.

Now Guillermo’s career is winding down, and it will never rise to the promise it once showed. Maybe, just maybe, he’ll salvage a glimmer of what could have been with a victory over Lomo. That and his victory over Nonito would say something. Fingers crossed.
                I think he will lose lopsided and I'm not sure where he goes next. I do think he will one day enter the IBHOF because of his amateur credentials, skills and the Donaire win. I hope he's making good money in his next fight to make up for lost time.

I saw him live on an undercard in Vegas years ago and was very impressed but he's generally bored me and I usually love technical fighters.

Comment

In today's era boxing the top fighters want big money fights or easy fights Rigondeaux is a talented fighter nobody wants to see hm feast on bums all the time the best fighters around his weight ducked him that's recipe for a wasted career

Comment

I think he will lose lopsided and I'm not sure where he goes next. I do think he will one day enter the IBHOF because of his amateur credentials, skills and the Donaire win. I hope he's making good money in his next fight to make up for lost time.

I saw him live on an undercard in Vegas years ago and was very impressed but he's generally bored me and I usually love technical fighters.
                    He might. Then again, he might win. Lol I expected Rigo to lose versus Donaire, and he wound up putting on a clinic. In this next fight, I’m really hoping Guillermo at least makes a good account of himself. As someone said recently, he’s just too good not to. I tend to agree.

And, yeah, I appreciate technical fighters myself, but Rigo has a tendency to go completely inactive. That’s just boring. I don’t care how you slice it. I had some guy argue with me over that point not long ago. I mean, watching an artist paint is one thing. Watching him stare at the canvass is quite another. Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X