Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Joshua v Wilder need to be in America?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Joshua v Wilder need to be in America?

Its what i keep hearing. I get told about the massive American market compared to the UK market. But that market has shown they couldnt give a toss about Deontay Wilder. And at the same time American fight fans keep telling us nobody knows or cares about Anthony Joshua in America.

So we had Wilder who did poor TV numbers and horrendous ticket sales in his last fight which suggests his stock/value/worth is actually going backwards. And then we have Joshua who breaks world records in his fights, sells 90'000 tickets unlike Wilder and his 13'000 tickets. Not to mention AJ can command over a million PPV sales. Wilder isnt even a PPV fighter, he only does PPV when he is in against a PPV fighter.

So we can talk about the "POTENTIAL US MARKET" and how huge it will be for AJ Wilder but how do we know that, with the UK MARKET all the numbers are there to prove Anthony Joshua is a massve pull. But when we look at Wilder to bring similar he cant do it. Infact his numbers are not even good and judging on recent fights its getting worse.

But im guessing that is why the PBC and Showtime are throwing out mega numbers for a fight under their control and their network but then rather than back that up with an offer and a guarantee that matches the numbers they are predicting they are just getting Wilder to fight a load of people nobody wants him to fight. (Which by the way will just keep sending Wilders worth/value backwards even more.

Also once again the PBC have not released official numbers from the Breazeale fight but seem to of been the starting point of rumours. Now we get a few insiders who come out with the real numbers who are now questioning those numbers. Their rumours are different to the PBC rumours.

Less than 10k tickets sold and no more than 700'000 tuned in to watch the event. Not that it matters what the numbers are. Any of the numbers that are being rumoured are any good.

Comment

My bet is England

Comment

America charge more for their PPV's and have a higher ceiling for potential buys. Stage the fight in the States and you can also televise in the UK as a PPV.

That's two PPV revenues in one.

If the fight takes in place at Wembley you lose PPV in the US because it won't be prime time. Americans won't paying PPV for a Saturday afternoon fight.

Comment

It’s a HW fight between two of the best so it should be held at wherever generates the most money, plain and simple.

Sure the crowds are bigger and more electric in england but arent their tickets much cheaper or somesht like that? Lol. I dont give a sht if 90,000 people show up and their tickets were like $30.

It needs to be in America,probably Vegas.

Comment

Nobody in North America is ordering a PPV with a 3pm start time

Comment

Originally posted by Mushashi View Post
              America charge more for their PPV's and have a higher ceiling for potential buys. Stage the fight in the States and you can also televise in the UK as a PPV.

If the fight takes in place at Wembley you lose PPV in the US because it won't be prime time. Americans won't paying PPV for a Saturday afternoon fight.
              No thats future, thats potential. Its easy to say it does more in the future but you gotta lay down some groundwork on that and when i say groundwork i dont mean by saying what other Boxers may of done. You gotta put your chips on the table here and Wilder and his fans are pretty much saying "Yeah we dont have any chips here but in the future im going to have loads" Its not good enough, its just futuristic guess work from Team Wilder. His stock is going backwards right now, he had less people care about his last fight than some of the previous ones. His fame is meant to be sky rocketing but it clearly isnt.

What can they put on the table to say "YES, thats why we deserve so much money"?

Also why wont Americans watch it on PPV on an afternoon? I thought it was the biggest fight in the sport? How come they cant watch it in the afternoon when the Brits can manage to stay up until the early hours of the morning. Whats wrong with Americans now?

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                Nobody in North America is ordering a PPV with a 3pm start time
                Nobody cares about Wilder then? Brits would order a PPV at 3 in the afternoon, They would order it at 3 in the morning.

Comment

Selfishly I don’t care about the states at all.

It would be great if we had that mega event here if at all possibly.

In short.

F.uck them.

We’ve been getting up at 5 a.m. for decades

Comment

Originally posted by Mushashi View Post

This - but I'm not really sure this fight will be a ppv success at the level they need. For example if you're paying Wilder 40m and Joshua 50-60m then you need close to 1.5-2m buys (US) and 1m UK buys and a 20m+ gate.

The x factor is DAZN guaranteeing the money for a US prime time fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X