No announcement yet.

What's up with (mostly white) people taking unemployable degrees in college

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with (mostly white) people taking unemployable degrees in college

I was talking to an officemate and his daughter took culinary in college. He paid for his tuition. She's almost 30 now, unemployed and he is paying for his bills. I think she wants to go to college again. lol

lol at this people thinking college is a hobby. of course maybe 1 in 100 will have a good job, 99 will end up unemployed with these ridiculous, highly unemployable degrees.

Being unemployed with a useless college degree has its advantage. It gives them time to travel the world on their parent's dime while they discover themselves.

Comment

Why are u hating on my liberal arts degree phaggot

Comment

These degree are not "unemployable," you need to understand that 1) degrees are versatile and 2) people go to college for different reasons

Poor and working class trying to escape the poverty cycle people would be wise to get into debt to go to school if they get a STEM degree that has very good expected earnings and future employment prospects. They are making a big investment, giving up years of earnings from working full time as well as taking on massive debt, so they need as sure a bet as possible.

HOWEVER, what about the people from middle/upper class whose parents pay for their degree? You know, those white people youre talking about. They can afford to major in something like theater or trombone or whatever because they have options and resources to fall back on. They can try their hand doing something with riskier prospects and still have a cushy landing if it doesn't work out (like the girl in your post).

I used to be a purchasing agent (buyer), a job I got by getting a B.S. in Economics. The senior purchasing agent/manager, who made like 90k, had a B.A. in opera, vocal performance. Exactly as I said: middle class family paid for degree, didn't find any work as an opera singer (he was a ****ty singer), got a job as a buyer through a family friend. Now, he wouldn't have got that job without having SOME degree, so the degree itself was important, but because of his background he could go to college with more general employment goals and still fall into something good.
        Last edited by paulf; 05-10-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

The bigger story behind this "useless degrees" plague is how rapidly automation is taking root in this country and thereby completely eliminating the need for skilled human workers. Machines are becoming cheaper to produce, proving to be more productive than human beings, and are increasingly becoming the accepted norm in many industries.

Many economists are predicting massive unemployment in the United States over the next decade or so as more and more companies look to machines to replace human workers for a variety of trades, skilled and unskilled alike. Everything from fast food workers and cashiers to welders, miners, and mechanics are on the chopping block.

That said, a culinary degree isn't useless at all, it's just limited in demand depending on your location. Sounds to me like your friend's daughter should consider moving somewhere where her skillset would be more appreciated. Culinary arts are huge in most metropolitan areas along either coastline.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
            I was talking to an officemate and his daughter took culinary in college. He paid for his tuition. She's almost 30 now, unemployed and he is paying for his bills. I think she wants to go to college again. lol

lol at this people thinking college is a hobby. of course maybe 1 in 100 will have a good job, 99 will end up unemployed with these ridiculous, highly unemployable degrees.
            IDK if you made this thread to be funny or serious but I will give you a serious/honest answer. First I will say I am a Mexican American Veteran with 2 college degrees (AS & BS) & I laugh when people (trump supporters) accuse "illegal" Mexicans for their problems. The real problem with our immigration system is the "legal" side, not just because of the 1000s upon 1000s of fraudulent petitions we get each year but because of the people we let in with competitive degrees working for lesser wages than what American born College grads want/expect. Not to mention the Nepotism amongst foreigners especially in the Asian and Eastern Asian communities. Sure these communities provide a lot of professions such as Dr's and what not to the USA but you should see the amounts of people we let in with a Bachelors in business asking to start @36k annually when American College grads want 42k+, I can go on forever about this topic but I feel bad for U.S. born College Grads of today and the future.

Comment

One of my best friends got a culinary degree.

He's a plumber now.

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post

He's a plumber now.

legit lol

cookin up those clogged pipes

Comment

He's a plumber now.
                  So hes good at laying pipe and eating? Sounds like he should try ****...

Comment

He's a plumber now.
                    I guess he's just working on it from the other end now.

Comment

Working...
                    X