No announcement yet.

training for a taller opponet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training for a taller opponet

hey. im i have a sparring math with a taller guy nxt wk. he is 6 '3 and im 5'9. i was just wondering how wuld u train to fight a taller opponet and what plan shuld i have goin into the fight.

Originally posted by bagwellchamp1 View Post
    hey. im i have a sparring math with a taller guy nxt wk. he is 6 '3 and im 5'9. i was just wondering how wuld u train to fight a taller opponet and what plan shuld i have goin into the fight.
    When I did boxing, my trainer would make sure my jabs were shooting a bit higher than usual during shadowboxing and sparring. This helped with stamina and making sure my punches landed. Use the whole ring as well, don't admire your work. Also you could do work on the inside to take some of his reach advantage away.

Comment

You got a big surface in front of you so go for the body. Try to double-jab to the head and right hand to the body. That always works when I spar with this tall guy from my gym. Just make sure you jab or fake the jab, and always move your head. Since you're short, fight short so bend your knees and make him mis. I'm sure he's going to try to try to keep you away with his jab and make circles around the ring, so don't follow him - cut the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bagwellchamp1 View Post
        Find a Joe Frazier, Julio Cesar Chavez vid on Yo*tube and your questions will be answered!!

Jeff Fenech also has a vid on how to fight a boxer, which is pretty much the same basic game plan on how to work a tall opponent.

keys to fighting a taller opponent

#1) practice cutting off the ring

#1a) keep a high guard( a taller opponent usually likes to throw 1-2's against shorter foes)

#2 head movement

#3 feints

#4 utilize the jab

#5 work the body(focus on targeting the solar plexus and liver)

#6 don't get in a head hunting game, until your body attack starts to wear on your opponent, then mix up your punches to the body and head.

#7 If the taller opponent tries to tie you up, simply push him back.

#8 Once you've found your range against a taller opponent, try to keep that range.
        Last edited by We want Floyd; 10-03-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

What do you both weigh??

If you weigh the same or he's within say 10lbs of you, come forward with a high guard, parry or slip his jab to get up close, then go to work with lots of close range punches to the head and body, maybe even step back a little to get leverage for a big shot up top, step across and cut him off when he tries to move away and just keep on the ****er, work your heart out and keep the high guard the whole time.

If he's taller and heavier by more than 10-15 or so lbs, you don't want to be up close going to work on him at all, move around him, side to side, keep changing direction, high guard again, maybe head movement if you can see the punches coming, as you move around him, he will have to make a slight turn and adjust his feet- watch for it. As he does it, move in quickly and throw one or two shots, then back out of range and keep moving. You can go back near the ropes but don't let him catch you on them, if he does cover up and try to pivot out and get back to the centre of the ring.

Comment

those are literally the specs of a fight i have had. so i know how much of an obstacle this could potentially be.

i actually hurt him most with body punches - i think he covered his face well and didnt want me to get up there. so i took the body happily instead.

first, if he has a snappy jap, be careful. u may be able to capitolize on his missed punches since he has much more distance to bring his punches back in.

movement is something u will likely need. just dont be fearful, otherwise, if he is a seasoned boxer, he will smell it and come after u without mercy.

feints can mess up his rhythm. and get to know where his distance is. u might wanna be in and out of his distance.

to train for it, well, you want to be able to use shooting yet balanced footwork. and always be aware of where you are in relation to the center of your target.

these are just a few things. good luck.

Comment

sparring is the training bro. are u gon train for your roadwork next?

but to answer your question, which i think i can do quite well since im over 6'3 tall myself and used to fight at 141..

1. pressure. dont be over aggressive though, intelligent pressure.
              2. move your head, slip the jab. dont just slip it to make him miss, get inside it and close the distance. make him pay everytime he throws the jab and make him not want to throw it.
              3. use your own jab, you wont be able to outjab a much taller man, but u can get him of rhytm, back him up and give him something to look for up top so he wont see the bodyshots as well.
              4. go to the body. throw a double jab to the head, follow up with a 2-3 to the body. work the body consistantly, dont go to the head with powershots until he gives it to you.
              5. watch out for the right hand, an uppercut or a cross can catch u coming in and put u on queer street. even if he seems weak he can still get leverage on those shots, plus he will be punching at a low target which gives more power, and u will be walking into it. many tall guys are not heavyhanded, but can get explosive power out of nowhere. dont underestimate that.

Comment

/watch?v=xm1SKdkKaJo this is what happend wen i fought a tall guy im 5'5

Comment

most of my sparring partners are 6"0+ and have atleast 30 lbs on me.

Im 5"8 and 140

anyway what works best for me is getting close enough to rip some devastating body shots, dont just fire one or two get in there and dig down. Try your best not to trade with them (I love to :P) and i can tell you it sure is'nt the best plan againts guys outweighin you :P anyway as what has been said earlier. Cut off the ring, hands high, Jab! head movement and the final step for sucsess...Heavy bodyshots

Comment

overhand right's always a plus

Comment

Working...
                    X