No announcement yet.

Tyson-Holyfield.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson-Holyfield.

Tyson was heavily favored to beat Holyfield in their first fight, and we all know what happened. Did people just underestimate how past it Tyson was at that point, or did Holyfield just have his number stylistically?

I think the biggest issue was that Holyfield was underrated at that point. The several bad performces he had before the Tyson fight weren't because he was past his best, it was because he was overdoing the PED's and hurting his health, hence the "heart problems" and "Hep C" at the time.

He got it sorted out with good doctors, got himself solid dosages again and Tyson was F'd. Almost literally. Here's that prison rape staredown gif again:

Comment

They sparred years before they fought and gave each other great work.
      They knew they would fight years later and they knew it would be a very tough fight for both.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        They sparred years before they fought and gave each other great work.
        They knew they would fight years later and they knew it would be a very tough fight for both.

Ray
        Fought in the amateurs?

Comment

As Lennox Lewis said, "Holyfield headbutts really well"

Comment

I think Holyfield's durability is what won him that fight. Tyson hurt him early on and almost had him, a few more clean punches and that fight could have ended very differently. However, once the early storm was weathered and it turned into an even exchange the balance just kept inexorably ticking in Holyfield's favour. Tyson never took it as well as he gave.

Comment

Holy was thought shot prior to his initial bout with Tyson. However instead he was at the top of his game. Tough fight early but Holy prevailed. Take Tyson into deep water he loses.

Comment

Holyfield was thought shot after being stopped by Bowe, losing to Moorer, and retiring because of health issues. Then he had a brutal war with Mercer and looked horrible against Bobby Czyz. Tyson was so overhyped that few noticed he was only a shadow of the fighter he was in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                  I think Holyfield's durability is what won him that fight. Tyson hurt him early on and almost had him, a few more clean punches and that fight could have ended very differently. However, once the early storm was weathered and it turned into an even exchange the balance just kept inexorably ticking in Holyfield's favour. Tyson never took it as well as he gave.
                  Hah, no such thing happened. What actually happened was Tyson rocked Holyfield with the first punch he threw in the fight, which actually turned out to be a big mistake. I mean Evander felt his full power literally seconds into the fight and realized that he could take it. He went to work and executed the gameplan immediately instead of starting out cautious AF.

Comment

"Fought in the amateurs"?...............No!

Evander was in the light heavy division (178lbs) USA/ABF fed.
                    Mike was in the heavyweight division. So they only sparred together and if I remember correctly they're the only ones who actually worked well together.

This non sense about Tyson not being tough is just BS! Mike took a great punch and gave one. He was very strong and extremely quick on his feet!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X