No announcement yet.

How can I condition myself to "let my hands go"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I condition myself to "let my hands go"

I have been told by my trainer that I need to let my hands go more in sparring and that I spend too much time looking for the one big shot, I have good punching power and it has become a bad habit of mine to wait for an opening and throw a haymaker, I need to increase punch output but throwing in volume just feels alien to me.

How can i improve my volume?

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I have been told by my trainer that I need to let my hands go more in sparring and that I spend too much time looking for the one big shot, I have good punching power and it has become a bad habit of mine to wait for an opening and throw a haymaker, I need to increase punch output but throwing in volume just feels alien to me.

How can i improve my volume?
    You should read my article titled 'Improving Punching Endurance'. It links throwing a fast quantity of punches to throwing hard heavy punches. If you find that the heavy punching makes you tired then the second drill is for you. If you want to throw multiple punches for a sustained amount of time then the first is ideal.

If your arms get tired you proberly also find your hands drop which leaves you open to damage. To increase punch output, you need to work on 'Punching Through Fatigue'. This means continued punching despite your arms feeling really tired and heavy. This will allow you to put more punches together in a round, even up to the late stages. In my opinion, you should work on fast punches and power punches together as you will be able to throw more punches but land with power throughout a round. Here is an example:

Heavy Bag 3x3min (general shots, skill based, moving around the bad)

Punch-Out 30secs/30secs rest (start with 3 sets and increase over time - punch straight out (hard and fast) for 10secs, crounch down and do the same for body shots for 10secs, punch up for 10secs).

Heavy Bag Smash 1min/30-45secs rest (controlled power shots - no jabs, just hooks, crosses and uppercuts)

Here is another example for speed endurance:

Shadow Box 3x3mins

Shadow Box with 2.5kg Weights in hands 3x3mins

Shadow Box Punch Outs 30secs/30secs rest (3 sets increased over time - 2.5kg weights in hands)

Shadow Box 1x3mins (no weights)

ALSO - skipping with a weighted rope helps with shoulder/arm endurance!

Hope this helps!

Comment

This is a mental thing rather than a physical thing. You just gotta learn to throw your punches. When you're sparring just try putting punches together and getting off before your partner. I had the exact same problem but i'm doing well now.

Comment

Mate I used to have the exact same problem but mine was brought on by fears of gassing out (stamina used to be ****). As a result Ive developed a bit of a rangy counter puncher style which has turned out pretty effective for me.

The thing is, im hardly ever the one to initiate an attack, most of the time I wait for the other guy to come to me and I'll either counter or fight going backwards. It works well for me but I do realise that I need to work on going forward and letting punches go.

I do go forward and throw combinations every so often and most of the time I do well for it, but Im just so much more comfortable countering or fighting going backwards.

I can let my hands go just fine when Im going backwards so I know its not a conditioning thing, like CymruAmByth said, its a mental thing. For you, your comfort zone is looking for the big shots constantly, for me, my comfort zone is letting the other guy get off first.

Next time you spar just force yourself to let your hands go, it wont feel comfortable at first but if its an area you need to improve then it has to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
          Mate I used to have the exact same problem but mine was brought on by fears of gassing out (stamina used to be ****). As a result Ive developed a bit of a rangy counter puncher style which has turned out pretty effective for me.

The thing is, im hardly ever the one to initiate an attack, most of the time I wait for the other guy to come to me and I'll either counter or fight going backwards. It works well for me but I do realise that I need to work on going forward and letting punches go.

I do go forward and throw combinations every so often and most of the time I do well for it, but Im just so much more comfortable countering or fighting going backwards.

I can let my hands go just fine when Im going backwards so I know its not a conditioning thing, like CymruAmByth said, its a mental thing. For you, your comfort zone is looking for the big shots constantly, for me, my comfort zone is letting the other guy get off first.

Next time you spar just force yourself to let your hands go, it wont feel comfortable at first but if its an area you need to improve then it has to be done.
          This is exactly the same thing with me, I have had some success countering and dropped a couple of guys with counter straight right hands, but i want to learn to go forward and be a more marauding type fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post

pretty much exactly how it happened with me, the bad stamina at first(cause of smoking) ended up kind of helping in the end. i am so critical of that ****ty european in and out style bouncing everywhere, everyone hated on me cus i just kind of glide around and spin out alot, walking the ring i believe its called, but it paid dividends in the end. everyone says you gotta "learn the amateur style first" thats bull****, if you got enough pop to keep them from bullrushing you and you can be a slick counterpuncher, that works just as well.

remember, a good coach will not try to teach you a style to box, he will bring out YOUR style

Comment

It could be that your semi afraid of getting hit.../countered..if you are a good counter puncher you know its possible by letting your hands go...I myself rarely let my hands go as i'm a counter puncher...however...why would i change what i do best and let hands fly...its like dont fix what aint broken...however in amateurs its waaay diff then pro's i realize u can actually be semi penalized by the ref for not encountering..

Comment

Just let go, most of the time its a mental aversion to hitting people I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post
                  You should read my article titled 'Improving Punching Endurance'. It links throwing a fast quantity of punches to throwing hard heavy punches. If you find that the heavy punching makes you tired then the second drill is for you. If you want to throw multiple punches for a sustained amount of time then the first is ideal.

If your arms get tired you proberly also find your hands drop which leaves you open to damage. To increase punch output, you need to work on 'Punching Through Fatigue'. This means continued punching despite your arms feeling really tired and heavy. This will allow you to put more punches together in a round, even up to the late stages. In my opinion, you should work on fast punches and power punches together as you will be able to throw more punches but land with power throughout a round. Here is an example:

Heavy Bag 3x3min (general shots, skill based, moving around the bad)

Punch-Out 30secs/30secs rest (start with 3 sets and increase over time - punch straight out (hard and fast) for 10secs, crounch down and do the same for body shots for 10secs, punch up for 10secs).

Heavy Bag Smash 1min/30-45secs rest (controlled power shots - no jabs, just hooks, crosses and uppercuts)

Here is another example for speed endurance:

Shadow Box 3x3mins

Shadow Box with 2.5kg Weights in hands 3x3mins

Shadow Box Punch Outs 30secs/30secs rest (3 sets increased over time - 2.5kg weights in hands)

Shadow Box 1x3mins (no weights)

ALSO - skipping with a weighted rope helps with shoulder/arm endurance!

Hope this helps!

TS you should try the sequence above......You will notice the difference right away.it will increase your speed as well.
                  Good tip dctopboot

Comment

Working...
                  X