No announcement yet.

How did you score Ali vs Frazier I?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you score Ali vs Frazier I?

Even though Frazier officially won the fight, I had Ali winning.

If you score the fight on points, I had it 143-143 even. But, since it was by rounds back then, I had it 7-6-2 for Ali.

How did you score it?

Originally posted by zoneman99 View Post
    Even though Frazier officially won the fight, I had Ali winning.

If you score the fight on points, I had it 143-143 even. But, since it was by rounds back then, I had it 7-6-2 for Ali.

How did you score it?
    I have watched this fight about 40 times and probably have scored it differently each and every time

Comment

I thought it was a clear Frazier win, he took over in the second half of the fight in my eyes but Ali still had his moments for sure.

Comment

referee Arthur Mercante said he would have scored the fight for Muhammad Ali if Ali had not clowned about so much, he scored it for Frazier 8-6-1

Comment

I have seen this fight so many times and each time i see i give it to Ali 8-5-2...i just can't see it any other way.....Ali hit about a million jabs, right hand leads, hooks....all frazier had was that one left hook and the crowd didn't help either because it was pro frazier......here's an interesting fact.....Larry Merchant was at ringside for this fight and scored Ali the victor by 3 rounds

Comment

It was a close fight for sure, 8-6-1 is a fair read of the fight. Remember without the knockdown in round 15 the score changes to 7-7-1 (draw), and if it was an even round Ali would have won on this card 8-6-1. I think my maths is correct.

Thats how even the scoring was! A near as dammit even fight on two judges cards going into round 15.

Frazier certainly deserved it, many refs would have stopped the fight in Frazier's favour in round 11, Ali was all over the show. I've seen heavyweight title fights stopped for much less!!!!

Frazier was also unlucky not to have a knockdown scored early on in either that round or the one before (it was ruled a slip by Mercante).

Ali probably landed the most punches and showed the best ring generalship, but theres no two ways about it....Frazier's punches were heavier, Frazier was the champion and Frazier didn't take a backward step.

Dont feel bad for Ali, he clearly won fights 2 and 3 by wide decision and TKO.

I'm suprised Larry Merchant scored for Ali, he normally favours aggressive, march forward fighters. I'll never forget his hopeless commentary in the Chris Byrd vs Ike Ibeabuchi fight!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              referee Arthur Mercante said he would have scored the fight for Muhammad Ali if Ali had not clowned about so much, he scored it for Frazier 8-6-1
              Frazier by 2 rounds seems about right

Comment

Frazier deserved his victory on that night although the fact that he was pushed right to the limit as he was,that he took such a tremendous beating from a guy who had fought just eighteen rounds in four years isn't exactly what I would call a great performance.

Comment

Thankfully perhaps, there was no online Boxing forum at the time or else the cries the ignorant cries of robbery and exposed would be all over.
                  I'll have to watch the fight again, but had Frazier winning last time.

Comment

i thought i was the only one who thought ali won..he swept the first half of the fight..only saw it once tho...its like when people say duran beat barkley only because of the crowd....

Comment

Working...
                    X