Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The true value of having the "heart of a champion"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The true value of having the "heart of a champion"?

I think this term gets thrown around WAY too much. You could be at a fight card and when one local bum gets stunned, then comes back and drops the opponent then he gets labeled with having "the heart of a champion." In my opinion their's more to it then that.

In my opinion to have the true heart of a champion, is something only the great legends have. Because a lot of champions look good when their in control of a fight but when they face adversity they crumble and quit. A modern day example is Miguel Cotto. I love him to death, he's very exciting but he doesn't have the heart to overcome adversity besides the Torres fight.

Another detail I think is involved is how you win fights. Like I don't think Wladimir KLitschko has it either. I'm not trying to single him out because their's lots of other examples like Roy Jones but If you have the heart of a champion, I think when your faced with somebody not in your class talent wise, you don't carry them into the later rounds. You trash them. You make it obvious they shouldn't have been in the ring with you.

If you consider those 2 factors I think it really cuts it down to a really small circle of people. Modern day examples that come to the top of my head right now is Juan Manuel Marquez. Marquez could have easily won on points against Casamayor and Kasditis but he took them out. Not to mention he got up from knockdowns against Manny and still whooped his ass. Manny is another example although I'm not a big fan. He went to war with Morrales in the 1st fight and lost, then the next 2 he straight trashed him. Not to mention he always fights too finish. Clottey is just a big wall, and if he was a bigger welterweight he would have put out Margarito, but he gave him a beating regardless.

Anybody have any opinions on this? Any examples of people they think have the true heart of a champion?

Basilio and Frazier instanteneously came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Comment

Both Ali and Marciano had the heart of a champion. Ali sometimes being lackluster in his training plus being impolite to his opponents are strikes against him but he made up for a lot of it with his great will to win in the ring.
      Last edited by Holtol; 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        Basilio and Frazier instanteneously came to mind when I saw the thread title.
        Frazier was my first thoughts.
        In the Thrilla' he was blind yet continued to fight on and against big George he was knocked down 6 times yet still was fighting.

Gatti is a must in this conversation.

Comment

Mike Tyson was the first come to my mind

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
            Explain please very odd choice IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
              In his prime Tyson was a great example of a fighter with a ton of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                In his prime Tyson was a great example of a fighter with a ton of heart.
                He showed heart against Lewis' as well.

I still don't think he had amazing heart though and post-prime he didn't have any. Except above example.

Comment

Marvin Hagler had the most heart I have seen in a fighter. Of today's fighters Froch has to rate very highly heart wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
                    Marvin Hagler had the most heart I have seen in a fighter. Of today's fighters Froch has to rate very highly heart wise.
                    Hagler is a hard one to judge as apart from the Mugabi fight he never needed it.

The answer to this question also depends on how you define heart.

Comment

Working...
                    X