Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Pretty straight forward. Has anyone ever sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

I have and I'm ashamed to say I was hurt by a straight right hand. Landed right on my mouth, I saw stars and my eyes watered immediately. I had to take a break after that hit. Dude hit extremely hard but he had been boxing for about 4 years before I even sparred him.

Yes when i was active we had a lot of up and coming pro fighters in the gym and i took some beatings but i learned from them.amazing how you can watch tv and not realize the little things fighters do in the ring

Comment

yea I did that alot, and continue to do so. no other way to get better than to spar the best guys you can. you live in philly, you got an extra advantage too heehee

Comment

He was just awaiting his first pro fight, I was a novice AM though so he was just cool about it and just worked his defense a lot.

It was great fun.

Comment

The main reason I have so much respect for boxers is because the people that are referred to as "bums" can still whip the piss out of the average Joe.

It's about the level of competition really.

The guy I sparred actually went on to win an international title and he has a decent record. I'll drop a hint. He fought a "dog" and lost.

Anyway I was 14 and he was 21 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
            The main reason I have so much respect for boxers is because the people that are referred to as "bums" can still whip the piss out of the average Joe.

It's about the level of competition really.

The guy I sparred actually went on to win an international title and he has a decent record. I'll drop a hint. He fought a "dog" and lost.

Anyway I was 14 and he was 21 at the time.
            A dog?

Or The Dog?

Comment

I have before... when my am record was only like 2-1... I weighed 144 and was sparring a pro that weighed 175 I think he was 2-0 at the time... I knew he was taking it easy on me and I was extra cautious not to get hit with anything... we worked 'lightly'

he was almost impossible for me to hit due to his size advantage, but he loved sparring with me because I was the slickest n fastest n the gym so it gave him a diff look

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
                I have before... when my am record was only like 2-1... I weighed 144 and was sparring a pro that weighed 175 I think he was 2-0 at the time... I knew he was taking it easy on me and I was extra cautious not to get hit with anything... we worked 'lightly'

he was almost impossible for me to hit due to his size advantage, but he loved sparring with me because I was the slickest n fastest n the gym so it gave him a diff look
                Yea I watched this guy hurt other people during sparring so I came in extra aggressive and careless. I didn't know what I was doing anyway but I was solid when I was 14 and in much better shape than I am today.

Anyway, It was then that I learned why speed kills. I didn't see that straight right hand coming so it caught me off guard and stunned me.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  A dog?

Or The Dog?
                  Not in the literal sense, I'm referring to the boxers nickname.

Comment

I've sparred a few pro's, and one of them calls me to get sparring when he has fights coming up alot of the time, I swear I do very well alot of the time and he's a pretty good undefeated prospect.

Come to think of it, I sparred pro's before I even had my first amateur fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X