Serious situation - need advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious situation - need advice.

Sup guys,

In March I dropped out of my PhD program and thought "**** this", but then I felt lost so applied for a new program at a new school. I got in and am scheduled to start in 02/13.

Problem is I am not wholly committed to the thing. I just saw a 'time table' detailing my commitments to 2017 (earliest). Plus its expensive, and I find my field of research (proposed, US-Pak ties) pretty boring. Maybe cool for a MA thesis, but not 100,000 word PhD stuff.

My only problem is that I have no alternatives. There are no jobs out there for me - at all. I am bored as hell and see university as 'something to do' but cant be 100% committed to it. Dont want to drop out again - waste of time and money.

Advice?

Enlist in the military. Become an officer. Next thing you know you'll be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or Marine Commandant.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
      Sup guys,

In March I dropped out of my PhD program and thought "**** this", but then I felt lost so applied for a new program at a new school. I got in and am scheduled to start in 02/13.

Problem is I am not wholly committed to the thing. I just saw a 'time table' detailing my commitments to 2017 (earliest). Plus its expensive, and I find my field of research (proposed, US-Pak ties) pretty boring. Maybe cool for a MA thesis, but not 100,000 word PhD stuff.

My only problem is that I have no alternatives. There are no jobs out there for me - at all. I am bored as hell and see university as 'something to do' but cant be 100% committed to it. Dont want to drop out again - waste of time and money.

Advice?
      Perhaps a three month sabbatical from anything academic would do you good.

Get a job (read: not career) and take it easy and what you want should come to you.
      You sound like you are going through the motions now, and that's not a good way to find happiness in life.

I feel like you could get a job based on your qualifications. It just doesn't have to be a career- you will find that in time.
      Last edited by jreckoning; 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
        Sup guys,

Advice?
        I can't give you any advice if you aren't even telling what the fields are.

Comment

yeah man. i need career direction badly. may defer entry to 09/13, meaning i keep the place but get more time to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            I can't give you any advice if you aren't even telling what the fields are.
            i did mention fields. us-pak relations.

Comment

do a different Ph. D

Comment

go out and get a job for a year, then go back when you know what to do

Comment

Apply to become a moderator for NSB.

Comment

or do the Ph. D and get an MPA after or at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                    X