No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gives His Opinion on Gennady Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gives His Opinion on Gennady Golovkin

Yes, that was super middleweight champion Andre Ward who was aguest commentator on last Saturday's HBO telecast from Madison Square Garden. Ward, who is recovering from right-shoulder surgery, was on hand at Wednesday's news conference as he and Arreola are Goossen Tutor Promotions stablemates.

Ward was asked what he thought about Gennady Golovkin, who defended his middleweight belt with a seventh-round TKO of Gabriel Rosado.

Ward was asked what he thought about Gennady Golovkin, who defended his middleweight belt with a seventh-round TKO of Gabriel Rosado.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Golovkin does not look big at MW like JCC Jr. does, for instance. I think he needs to stay away from 168, and concentrate solely on 160 and even 154.

Comment

Andre Ward schools him with ease. Golovkin would not touch him, it's not even the weight, it's just the styles.

Comment

Golovkin is about the same size as ward (5"10) Rosado is a big kid! What ward has is density , he is a solid guy. Golovkin does need to face upper echelon comp - But at 160 I really do not see it, Quillen will not fight him, JCC wants no part of Golovkin, too easy to hit and horrible preperation - 168, i feel the guys up there are too big, Froch / Kesseler / Ward / etc.. those are some big guys - 154 is stacked, he might need to go down there and dominate - 160 is pretty much dead for now.

Comment

HBO had Ward there to scout GGG they want that fight to happen GGG needs a couple of fights at 168 to see if he can be effective at that weight

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous
            Golovkin does not look big at MW like JCC Jr. does, for instance. I think he needs to stay away from 168, and concentrate solely on 160 and even 154.
            Rosado a JMW was bigger than him. He's real small. My bro was watching him for the first time and was texting me like WTF is this guy doing at MW.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
              Rosado a JMW was bigger than him. He's real small. My bro was watching him for the first time and was texting me like WTF is this guy doing at MW.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
              Exactly. Those calling for him to fight at 168 are those that just want to see him lose because he has some hype at the moment. I want to see him fight some upper-echelon guys his same size, at 160 or 154.

Comment

Originally posted by parrish duke View Post
                Golovkin is about the same size as ward (5"10) Rosado is a big kid! What ward has is density , he is a solid guy. Golovkin does need to face upper echelon comp - But at 160 I really do not see it, Quillen will not fight him, JCC wants no part of Golovkin, too easy to hit and horrible preperation - 168, i feel the guys up there are too big, Froch / Kesseler / Ward / etc.. those are some big guys - 154 is stacked, he might need to go down there and dominate - 160 is pretty much dead for now.
                Size is not height, and Ward is 6 feet. Size is what they weigh, Andre Ward is bigger and taller. Despite being bigger and taller, he's more agile, has faster hand speed, and actually has head movement. It would be a mismatch, Golovkin would bite off more than he could chew with Andre Ward, like Chad Dawson did when he came down to 168 after not making it for 6 years.

Comment

Yea GGG needs to do more work, nothing is given to you on a golden plate in boxing..His body of work is nothing at the moment but he is getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                    Exactly. Those calling for him to fight at 168 are those that just want to see him lose because he has some hype at the moment. I want to see him fight some upper-echelon guys his same size, at 160 or 154.
                    Yeah, he should stay away from 168. The guy he had the best chance with just retired [Pavlik]. If he can't get Martinez, just keep fighting anyone else who's willing. He keeps fighting top 10 154-160 fighters, he's going to make name for himself and rack up the defenses instead of just making a name for himself by being "avoided" by the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X