No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson’s Training Regime (1980’s)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson’s Training Regime (1980’s)

this probably has been posted hundreds of times but in case you missed it...

Mike Tyson’s Training Regime (1980’s),Up until he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988, his ONLY diet was steak, pasta and fruit juice. How's that for discipline?
    Daily Regime (7 days a week):
    5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
    6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)
    10am wake up: eat oatmeal
    12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
    2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)
    3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
    5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises
    7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)
    8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
    then watch TV and then go to bed.

(Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball. At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Durke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!

There will never be another Tyson, he has the quickest ever knockout in amateur history (6 seconds or something stupid) at the junior olympics in 1981, then he became the youngest ever heavyweight champion of the world (20 years old, 1986). It's a shame that a number of events caused his downfall - Jimmy Jacobs dying, falling out with Bill Cayton, firing Kevin Rooney, Don King entering his life, Desiree Washington messing his head up, etc. But let's not forget that Iron Mike saved a dying sport!
    Chris Eubank's training (every day):
    First I started my stretching, then
    3 rounds of shadow boxing,
    6 rounds of heavy bag work,
    3 rounds of speed ball,
    Skipping between 20 to 30 minutes non-stop, no break straight through.
    50 sit-ups, not crunches proper sit-ups.
    Stretching.
    Finish with 20 hits in the stomach with a medicine ball.
    I did both sprinting and long distance. 7.6 miles every morning, 7 days a week.

I think the Tyson one is a fake, somebody just went way over the top and went crazy.

I have Tyson's real routine from the 80's told by Steve Lott in KO Magazine in September 1986 (follow the link in my sig).

Comment

Eubank seemed to have had one of the easiest workouts out of any championship boxer, that guy was pure skill...Boxing had to be natural for that man.

Comment

yes i got it, could people please stop posting it every second week.

Comment

Working...
        X