What would you do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Here's the deal:

I have a job lined up making $13.50 to start out at and then after 3 months it goes up to over $16.00. Health benefits, a pension, all that stuff and after the 3 months you become 'endentured' which means you can quit, go to university and if all else fails i have this job to fall back on.

The money I'm going to be making is sweet especially considering I don't turn 18 until January and I can make a nice bundle in 6-10 months where then I am planning on going to university in september.

I have talked to alot of people who are telling me that I should stay with this job, move myself up the rankings whre in about 4 years I will be making about 35.00 an hour while most of my buddies will be getting out of university, have a **** load of student debt, no money, all of that while I will be very comfortable with my own place and an established job.

What would you suggest I do? Go to university, party it up and do EXACTLY what I want or take this job where I am making very good cash while most university students make not much money and they have debts but I am not doing what I want in life.

u have no cue how this job will play out months to years to come. u can be what we call fired. ya know

Comment

I'm not stupid enough to get fired from a good job like this. Work is good here and it will be for years to come because of the oil boom and everyone wanting to live here. Trust me. This is a STABLE legitimate job.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin'
        I'm not stupid enough to get fired from a good job like this. Work is good here and it will be for years to come because of the oil boom and everyone wanting to live here. Trust me. This is a STABLE legitimate job.

u never know **** happens and not all of the time it will be your fault.

Comment

While it sounds good...that's if things work out perfectly. Things seldomly do. In the long run a college education can lead to much better job placement and many more options. What you have to ask yourself is if you take this job do you like it enough, to actually want to do it for a long time? And then, let's say the job ends in 15 years... then you've got no college education and finding a job which will meet up to your usual $35 an hour will be next to impossible without one.

However, nothing we say will change your mind.. or it shouldn't at least. IF it's not made up, it will be in time, and people in an online boxing forum should not be effecting your life in small aspects, let alone a major life decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt E Gomez
            While it sounds good...that's if things work out perfectly. Things seldomly do. In the long run a college education can lead to much better job placement and many more options. What you have to ask yourself is if you take this job do you like it enough, to actually want to do it for a long time? And then, let's say the job ends in 15 years... then you've got no college education and finding a job which will meet up to your usual $35 an hour will be next to impossible without one.

However, nothing we say will change your mind.. or it shouldn't at least. IF it's not made up, it will be in time, and people in an online boxing forum should not be effecting your life in small aspects, let alone a major life decision.
            Nice post Dirt E. I never really thought of it that way. But this job IS a career. It's union so every year you get a raise for sure. It is not some random job that isn't very common. It's a common job and it pays very well as you can see.

Like I said, I have talked to my friends about it, my family, and some other college students that I have met and I am getting mixed reviews. I'm just looking for some more opinions on this. WHatever decision I make, I want to make it right. You dig?

P.S- Gomez, I know you're in college. DO you hae any friends now that are currently just working and making money and they have no college aspirations. How are they doing at the moment?

Comment

P.S- Gomez, I know you're in college. DO you hae any friends now that are currently just working and making money and they have no college aspirations. How are they doing at the moment?
              I can think of a few, all relatively ****ty. While they're getting by and enjoying life, it's hardly something for them to be proud at. But they're young, a couple of em' are married and whatnot... in times things would most likely change... as life tends to do.

Is it possible? Of course, but it definitely isn't easier. College is expensive, but student loans are easy and the time spent in college has, so far, been the best times of my life. I wouldn't trade my last 2 years for a job paying 40 an hour.....well maybe, heh.

Comment

Here's the deal:

I have a job lined up making $13.50 to start out at and then after 3 months it goes up to over $16.00. Health benefits, a pension, all that stuff and after the 3 months you become 'endentured' which means you can quit, go to university and if all else fails i have this job to fall back on.

The money I'm going to be making is sweet especially considering I don't turn 18 until January and I can make a nice bundle in 6-10 months where then I am planning on going to university in september.

I have talked to alot of people who are telling me that I should stay with this job, move myself up the rankings whre in about 4 years I will be making about 35.00 an hour while most of my buddies will be getting out of university, have a **** load of student debt, no money, all of that while I will be very comfortable with my own place and an established job.

What would you suggest I do? Go to university, party it up and do EXACTLY what I want or take this job where I am making very good cash while most university students make not much money and they have debts but I am not doing what I want in life.
                Does the job have tuition reimbursement?

If not, you should question if you would give college the attention required to finish 4 years. If so, I would go to college.

If you're not sure you would have the ambition to finish college on time, keep the job - but be smart with your money. Don't accumulate debt you can't cover, don't gamble, and save for your future.

Comment

If you really want to go to college and have the money and wont have some bad effect you should go I think.

Comment

Take the job earn the cash and get yourself sorted whilst your buddies are buried in debt.

Comment

Working...
                    X