No announcement yet.

The best commentary I've seen on the Penn State scandal and NCAA's response

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best commentary I've seen on the Penn State scandal and NCAA's response

I realize the news is over a week old, but still relevant and this is a great commentary, in particular regarding the NCAA's penalties. The video is a bit long at nearly 20 minutes, but if you don't feel like watching all of it just 5 minutes or so will still include some good info. The commentator is highly critical of the NCAA's actions.

One point that this video made me consider relates to the NCAA's fine of $60 million dollars. I think that few would argue otherwise, in that the victims in this case are entitled to some compensation, on the basis of civil law. Set aside whether or not the NCAA is diverting funds from a potential civil settlement for a moment, because this isn't the point I want to make. Rather, the NCAA stepping in to impose such a penalty as a $60 million fine seems to me to be symptomatic of a relationship whereby the NCAA had ought to be on the hook to potentially pay out in the form of compensation to the victims.

Keep in mind, I am not speaking in the language of conspiracies, whatsoever; in fact the laws are already written to facilitate this. Basically, the overriding body is culpable for civil damages in the case of a subsidiary getting in to trouble (for example, the Catholic Church has had to pay compensation for local parishes--this comes into play when the smaller body is unable to pay the full damages). This may not be an issue here, but it is possible that the NCAA could be liable for some damages (although it'd probably be pocket change for them, if it ever came to it)
Working...
X