The "tainted Mexican beef" excuse was plausible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "tainted Mexican beef" excuse was plausible

At least in the case of Canelo Alvarez.

The small amounts found in his system were consistent with meat contamination.

And we know that for reasons of greed and profit the Mexican cattle industry is rife with the practice of using steroids with livestock.

Additionally, there have been instances of other Mexican athletes running into the same problem.

WADA drops clenbuterol case against Mexican soccer players
    Mexican beef can be a legitimate excuse for clenbuterol in an athlete's blood sample, the World Anti-Doping Agency said
    https://www.velonews.com/2011/10/new...players_195167

Based on all that I think Canelo's excuse was reasonable. Do you agree?

No. The regulations are clear. You cannot have ANY amount of clenbuterol in your body. It’s objective. Meat contamination is well known in Mexico and other places. Of course Canelo knows that, so any responsible athlete has to stay clear of that. To me it’s just a handy excuse for therapeutic use.

Now shoulderroll. Explain why this thread belongs in the history section?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      At least in the case of Canelo Alvarez.

The small amounts found in his system were consistent with meat contamination.

And we know that for reasons of greed and profit the Mexican cattle industry is rife with the practice of using steroids with livestock.

Additionally, there have been instances of other Mexican athletes running into the same problem.

WADA drops clenbuterol case against Mexican soccer players
      Mexican beef can be a legitimate excuse for clenbuterol in an athlete's blood sample, the World Anti-Doping Agency said
      https://www.velonews.com/2011/10/new...players_195167

Based on all that I think Canelo's excuse was reasonable. Do you agree?
      Why would 7 years ago have any bearing on an athlete today?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        No. The regulations are clear. You cannot have ANY amount of clenbuterol in your body. It’s objective. Meat contamination is well known in Mexico and other places. Of course Canelo knows that, so any responsible athlete has to stay clear of that. To me it’s just a handy excuse for therapeutic use.

Now shoulderroll. Explain why this thread belongs in the history section?
        You can't have any clenbuterol in your body. Canelo tested positive for it and hence he deserved to be punished. I don't dispute any of that.

But there is a group of boxing fans that want to go beyond that and insist that this means Canelo deliberately cheated. When the historical record does not necessarily support that conclusion over Canelo's own explanation that it was accidental.

I think this thread belongs in the History section because it relates to something that happened in the past. Plus I'm hoping there will be more intelligent discussion here than in NSB.

Is there a specific number of years we have to wait after a boxing incident before we can talk about it in this section?
        Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

E

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
          Why would 7 years ago have any bearing on an athlete today?
          It shows that there is a history of this being a real, actual issue in Mexico. Not something that Canelo invented.

Comment

You can't have any clenbuterol in your body. Canelo tested positive for it and hence he deserved to be punished. I don't dispute any of that.

But there is a group of boxing fans that want to go beyond that and insist that this means Canelo deliberately cheated. When the historical record does not necessarily support that conclusion over Canelo's own explanation that it was accidental.

I think this thread belongs in the History section because it relates to something that happened in the past. Plus I'm hoping there will be more intelligent discussion here than in NSB.

Is there a specific number of years we have to wait after a boxing incident before we can talk about it in this section?

I see it the same way as you do. Sure, he should be punished for the no tolerance stance...but I believe it wasn't intentional. It seemed to be consistent with meat contamination from what all of the PED experts had to say.

Comment

I probably belong to that groups of fans myself. Canelo has a great team around him. Family is butchers. Of course they knew that Canelo should stay away from Mexican beef. How stupid do they think we are?

Accidentally ingested contaminated meat..... gtfoh.

It’s also possible that this thread gives a platform for nsb overspill in here even though you made an identical thread there.

I don’t think there is a specific number of years. We can have the thread here, but I doubt there’s any room for real debate other than just differences of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                I probably belong to that groups of fans myself. Canelo has a great team around him. Family is butchers. Of course they knew that Canelo should stay away from Mexican beef. How stupid do they think we are?

Accidentally ingested contaminated meat..... gtfoh.
                Accidentally ingesting contaminated meat has happened to other Mexican athletes so there is a precedent for that.

Nothing in Canelo's past prior to this has shown him to be a person of low moral character who cheats or breaks rules. So I do think he has earned the benefit of the doubt this one time.

Especially since he fought even better against Golovkin after enrolling in year-round VADA testing.

Comment

I try to use logic when these things happen and I can't understand how Canelo could accept random drug testing and just throw away this kind of fight like that. That's just top much money to waste. There was probably a mix up or someone with bad intentions could've slipped it in his food supply.

Comment

Yeah. It doesn't make sense that Canelo would agree to random testing if he was purposefully taking steroids.

Comment

Working...
                    X