No announcement yet.

fitness... skill...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitness... skill...

Well I started going to a boxing gym over the summer and it was kind of a more fitness-oriented thing. So I put in extra time on pretty much everything skill-related. The thing that pissed me off was what a *** I was when sparring, really. There were two people I ever sparred with, one of the guys was only slightly shorter than me and was pretty big, but not TOO aggressive, and I always did okay against him. I'd still leave the gym slightly pissed off cause I knew I could do better.

But the other guy was shorter (probably 5'9" and I'm 6'1"), but built like an ox and was REALLY aggressive. I would only get in a couple of jabs every now and then because of my reach advantage. Guy was fast as hell too. Anyway, I felt like I lacked skill. I'd leave the gym ****ing pissed off and disappointed every time I sparred with him. He'd ****in charge at me and go ape**** on me and I'd cower like a *****...

Anyway, I can only afford to go twice a week instead of 3 times a week now. So I guess I was wondering is there any way to dramatically improve your skill? I've kept up doing body weight exercises, burpees, shadow boxing with what I remember, skipping rope, tabata sprints. I still don't think I'm as fit as an athlete should be (****, can't even do a pull up or a chin up yet), so any help with progressing/training regimes would be welcome too. But I mainly want to improve skill faster so the trainers will take notice and make me spar, cause I really need to get over this ****!

I used to be able to come in the evenings and we'd have this coach and it'd be me and about 2 or three other people and this coach would pretty much go drill sergeant on us. It was good for fitness, and I learned skill, of course, but I think I could've learned more. Now I'm going to be going at noon and I'm gonna have to be my own trainer, pretty much, when it comes to fitness, and skill-wise I'm counting on the trainers that are always there checking up on me every now and then, hopefully. I'm thinking about doing less bodyweight exercises but some lifting (5x5 with compound exercises) and tabata sprints or burpees 3 times a week and on the other 2 days in between I'd go to the boxing gym.

lol you can't even do a pull up? wow sucks to be you man

Comment

Originally posted by Fighta View Post
      lol you can't even do a pull up? wow sucks to be you man
      Well shiiiieeeet.

Either way it does blow, man. I'm not even fat or anything. I can definitively do lots of pushups, squats but can't do a pullup or chinup for some reason. Tabata intervals are hard, but I can do em with either burpees or sprinting. But I guess my upper body's not strong enough for pullups. Damn...

Comment

who cares about doing pull ups, people can do more than me in pull ups, yet i whoop on them in sparring, **** dont matter, the only way you gonna properly improve in skill is spar, and spar a lot, other than that work through techniques which your trainer should teach you through shadow boxing etc, look at tapes of fighters and see how they do it if you feel your trainer dont teach you much, work on angles, head movement, footwork, technique etc, and try and put these into practice in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
          who cares about doing pull ups, people can do more than me in pull ups, yet i whoop on them in sparring, **** dont matter, the only way you gonna properly improve in skill is spar, and spar a lot, other than that work through techniques which your trainer should teach you through shadow boxing etc, look at tapes of fighters and see how they do it if you feel your trainer dont teach you much, work on angles, head movement, footwork, technique etc, and try and put these into practice in sparring.
          Well I was sayin I'm lacking in the strength/power department and need to improve that too. I know skill is the main thing, which is what I want to emphasize cause if trainers think I suck, they ain't gonna have me spar... But think I ain't gonna get too far if I'm not in good enough shape. Hell any highschool and especially college-level athlete can do like 20 pullups and bench press probably much more than I can. Just sayin I'm not as fit as an athlete should be and I want to get there. But skill is indeed my main concern, cause I want to spar effectively.
          Last edited by bedHead; 10-26-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

spar and fight. tons of rounds on hvy bag. ab work ab work ab work. skip and run.

there ya go

Comment

Originally posted by bedHead View Post
              Well I was sayin I'm lacking in the strength/power department and need to improve that too. I know skill is the main thing, which is what I want to emphasize cause if trainers think I suck, they ain't gonna have me spar... But think I ain't gonna get too far if I'm not in good enough shape. Hell any highschool and especially college-level athlete can do like 20 pullups and bench press probably much more than I can. Just sayin I'm not as fit as an athlete should be and I want to get there. But skill is indeed my main concern, cause I want to spar effectively.
              tire lifts, and hitting tyres with sledghammer is good for strength.

Comment

Working...
              X