Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Media Out to Down Pacquiao's Bid for Another FOTD Award?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Media Out to Down Pacquiao's Bid for Another FOTD Award?

Senator Manny Pacquiao has been installed the strongest candidate for the "Fighter of the Decade" for his comparatively better activity, longevity and more importantly ring resume during the ten year period (2010-2019) despite his advancing age.

In fact, in the popular Ring Magazine, most boxing netizens including from Europe have expressed their preference and agreement of the Filipino fighting legislator and legend as the back to back FOTD awardee over a field that included his retired archrival Floyd Mayweather Jr., and another retired unbeaten American fighter Andre Ward, among others.

Pacquiao with his six world division title run and three Fighter of the Year awards in 2006, 2008 and 2009 was the hands down best fighter or the previous decade as declared by the Boxing Writers Association of America. He bested Mayweather who had his own title runs in five weight classes but retired in 2007 only to return belatedly in 2009.

Significantly, Pacquiao is also in the running for the Fighter of the Year award for 2019 especially with his stirring victory over erstwhile undefeated American Keith One Time Thurman for the WBA welterweight super title which will boost his FOTD bid.

But it seems some segments of the American boxing media are out to frustrate Manny's bid for another FOTY and FOTD awards.

In his recent Monday Mailbag column where my letter about Pacquiao's strong bid for FOTY and FOTD awards was published and sparked a lively debate among netizens mostly in favor of Manny, Ring Magazine editor in chief Douglass Fischer while acknowledging Pacquiao's worth, wrote that most BWAA members are apt to vote either Floyd or Ward.

Then from out of the blue, the Boxrec.com, a US boxing monitoring, evaluating and rating firm, came out with its greatest boxers ever list that has Floyd Mayweather, Jr. clearly on top miles away from the likes of Pacquiao who came second, Carlos Monzon, third and would you believe Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson who ranked only fourth and sixth, respectively!

What is more questionable is the fact that Pacquiao is the only active fighter in the list!

It is very obliviously an attempt, ill-thought as it was, to elevate the already retired Floyd at the expense of the still active Manny.

The only immediate objective of these moves coming from some segment of the US media is to condition the minds especially of the American boxing public that Floyd is more superior to Manny thereby making it more palatable for the BWAA to name Floyd as the Fighter of the Decade over Pacquiao despite Manny's overall better performance this decade.

But some people also view this as the resurrection of the rivalry between the two which could lead to the long sought after Floyd vs Manny 2 next year.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

http://m.philboxing.com/news/story-146360.html

No wonder if Floyd gets the award this time.

If Pac doesn't win FOTD then I preffered Floyd to win the award over Canelo and Andre Ward.

Comment

I have to admit it Pac has a slim chance of winning the FOTD. 😔

Comment

Pacquiao is a great fighter and a legend but I don’t see how he wins it over Floyd. I’m a FM fan so I’m biased. He has four losses in the last decade including one brutal KO.
        Floyd has wins over Maidana Canelo Cotto Mosley Pacquiao and a perfect 9-0 also successfully defended the wbc 147 and 154 titles in one night something that hasn’t been done since Leonard fought Lalonde. If Floyd doesn’t win it Pacquiao or Ward will probably win it
        Last edited by THEFRESHBRAWLER; 08-16-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Alvarez 4 fighter of the decade

Comment

Pac should be the FOTD again but it seems like pac has too much award already he should give way so that the other can have it even though they're not deserving for the award.

Comment

Canelo will get it

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                Pacquiao is a great fighter and a legend but I don’t see how he wins it over Floyd. I’m a FM fan so I’m biased. He has four losses in the last decade including one brutal KO.
                Floyd has wins over Maidana Canelo Cotto Mosley Pacquiao and a perfect 9-0 also successfully defended the wbc 147 and 154 titles in one night something that hasn’t been done since Leonard fought Lalonde. If Floyd doesn’t win it Pacquiao or Ward will probably win it
                how does someone who retired in 2015 is suppose to win fighter of the decade??? you brought up manny's losses as to why you feel he shouldnt win FOTD yet floyd who has been inactive for 4-5 years now is suppose to win? wtf is this??? it's called "fighter of the decade" for a reason. not fighter of a half decade.

Comment

I agree Mannys opponents over the decade dont add up to Floyds , but its a popularity contest so Manny has a big chance.

Comment

losses dont really mean much if you consider what he's done after those losses. pac won fighter of the decade the first time, and he had losses and 2 draws during that time frame!! but he won because of what he did after those losses!

Comment

Working...
                    X