Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAYWEATHER never planned to make 144...and GBP knew that.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAYWEATHER never planned to make 144...and GBP knew that.

Mayweather, Marquez keeping mum on megafight details
    By Dan Rafael

ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: July 17, 2009, 4:13 PM ET

The promoters of the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez fight have dubbed it "Number One/Numero Uno," their selling point being that it pits America's No. 1 fighter, Mayweather, against Mexico's top boxer, Marquez.

They're also hyping it as the battle for the No. 1 spot on the mythical pound-for-pound list, even though Manny Pacquiao and his supporters certainly would disagree.

Mayweather-Marquez, however, might as well be called the "Mayweather Mystery Tour."

There are two mysteries surrounding the fight, which was supposed to take place Saturday but was postponed until Sept. 19 (HBO PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas because Mayweather said he suffered a rib injury.

Re-starting the promotion this week, Mayweather and Marquez, the lightweight champion who is moving up in weight, spoke to reporters on a teleconference. But rather than provide straight answers to the burning questions of the day, they were evasive, especially Mayweather, who ducked questions like he's ducked elite welterweights.

Asked repeatedly to detail his injury, Mayweather refused.

Floyd Mayweather has refused to go into details on how he suffered a rib injury during training.
    Asked yet again for a clarification on the contract weight, both fighters refused to answer, as did promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions. All they would say is that it's a welterweight fight -- even though multiple sources with knowledge of the contract have told ESPN.com that the maximum weight is 144 pounds.

That makes it a welterweight fight -- anything above 140 pounds to 147 is technically a welterweight match -- but you have to wonder, why all the secrecy? They were more guarded with information than the Bush administration.

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), who is coming out of retirement and hasn't fought since knocking out Ricky Hatton in a welterweight title defense in December 2007, was cryptic with the discussion of his injury.

"The rib injury, you know, it happened in training," he said. "I don't have to say much, but believe me it wasn't a small guy that did it. It didn't even come from sparring. So nobody really knows what it came from. That's it right there, I know what it came from exactly. Freak accidents happen in training. We do a lot of different workouts in training and freak accidents happen. So it was just a freak accident."

Care to elaborate?

"Well, when it happened I tried to work through it," he said. "I was fine for a while. But then it happened again. And I was like, well, you know what? I can't try to be a superhero or be Superman. It's best to take your time, take a little time off, let it heal and come back, so when I do go out and perform I'll be able to perform to the best of my ability for my fans."

Asked again if it happened while sparring or running or some other exercise, Mayweather offered only, "I would never tell exactly what happened. I just had a rib injury. But by Sept. 19 you won't be able to tell because I'm going to perform. I'm going to be at my best."

Pressed again during the call, Mayweather sounded like he was getting annoyed.

Reporter: "Why is it a secret about your rib injury? Can't you just say, 'Hey, I took a shot [in the ribs]'?"

Mayweather: "Wait, slow down. Slow down. Who said it was a secret? I got hurt in training and I'll leave it at that."

Reporter: "And how is your injury?"

Mayweather: "I don't have to go in depth about what happened to me. I got a rib injury in training and I'm healed, and now I'm ready to rock and roll."

Reporter: "You can't say whether it's from a punch or just hitting the bag, or what?"

Mayweather: "What did I just tell you?"

Although there has been healthy skepticism about the veracity of the injury, Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs), at least publicly, said he believed Mayweather.

"I'm sure that there's solid evidence," Marquez said through a translator. "There should be some paperwork from the doctors. And I'm sure that he presented the paperwork that was needed in order to prove that it was a legitimate injury. I was calm. I'm fine. I mean, things happen for a reason. This happened and I'm OK. I'm ready to go."

Then there is the debate about the weight. Even though some outlets reported it as a 143-pound fight and sources directly involved in the fight told ESPN.com it was 144, Mayweather isn't saying.

When asked if he would have a problem making 143 pounds, Mayweather, who estimated his weight at 149 or 150 during the call, said, "I'm not weighing 143. This is a welterweight fight. Whatever I come in weighing, that's what I come in weighing, but I don't have to weigh 143. I don't know where you heard those rumors from."

Schaefer, who won't publicly discuss the weight so as not to damage the fragile business relationship he has forged with Mayweather, added, "It will be the most covered weigh-in ever because everybody wants to know what the weight is. So make sure you don't miss it!"

Marquez, who has never been heavier than 135 pounds for a fight, toed the party line when asked about the weight.

"There is an agreement between us, and the fight's a welterweight fight," he said. "Anything over 140 pounds is considered welterweight. This is a welterweight fight and we'll see come weigh-in day."

Golden Boy boss Oscar De La Hoya followed Schaefer's lead, using the weight question as a way to hype a fight many view as a Mayweather rout.

"Everybody wants to know what the weight is," he said. "Well, I think the whole world is going to be tuning in and making an event itself on what the weight is, and you can watch Friday night [Sept. 18] on what both fighters are going to be weighing."
    Last edited by Al Haymon; 09-19-2009, 12:34 PM. Reason: red accents

Good find dude. 4 pounds isn't **** either way. Let's see what Floyd weighs tonight to gauge how big a difference they are at.

Comment

The weight is irrelevant. Unless Floyd goes the opposite end of what he has done his entire career. He's always been a defensive fighter who counters. It's not like he fights a big man's game. I doubt because Floyd wieghed in 5 pounds heavier is going to walk forward and crush Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        Good find dude. 4 pounds isn't **** either way. Let's see what Floyd weighs tonight to gauge how big a difference they are at.
        Floyd had been telling people for months that he wasn't bound to 144.

I'm glad that I found a direct quote from a reputable source. I'm trying to find the videos where he said it also.

Marquez' promoter was in on it the whole time.

Comment

how does that change the fact that they lied to the public??
          **** floyd and his lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe Bryant View Post
            The weight is irrelevant. Unless Floyd goes the opposite end of what he has done his entire career. He's always been a defensive fighter who counters. It's not like he fights a big man's game. I doubt because Floyd wieghed in 5 pounds heavier is going to walk forward and crush Marquez.
            Very true. Emanuel Steward shares that opinion with you.

Comment

Fight night weigh ins doesn't mean ****, the whole point of this fight was Mayweather draining himself a little bit to make it more even and he didn't even do that.

***** boy Mayweather

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Marquez comes in bigger than Floyd tonight. Who cares about weigh-in weight? That's just for show. Fight night weight is the only weight that matters.

Comment

I remember this article. The vid that you are looking for is on youtube bro...it was from the press tour.

Comment

Al Haymon, STFU. The CONTRACTED WEIGHT WAS 144 POUNDS.

Marquez's camp knew he wouldn't make it early as Wed. night.

Comment

Working...
                    X