No announcement yet.

Now that the UFC owns WEC and Strikeforce

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that the UFC owns WEC and Strikeforce

Now that the WEC has bought WEC and Strikeforce, what happens to those fighters and title belts? Do all those guys stick around and fight for the UFC now? Do all those title belts just become UFC titles now? Just wondering.

The WEC lower weights stayed active for a while, then they merged with the UFC and AFAIK the champions get to keep their belts forever but Pettis, Aldo etc. are no longer champions in that the titles don't exist. If Aldo loses his next fight he doesn't lose the WEC title because it's no longer active or whatever.

With Strikeforce it's still continuing as an organisation and so for now the champions stay the same and defend their belt as per usual.

Strikeforce will probably end up getting merged with the UFC in a year or two.

Comment

yea pretty much the belts are retired and the fighters that ufc want are brought over, then they can fight for the current ufc title belts.

Comment

Cruz beat Jorgenson for the inaugural UFC Bantamweight title on the last WEC show.

Aldo was promoted to UFC champ when they merged. He didn't have to fight for a vacant UFC title because he's the man.

Pettis' title is inactive now, but he's guaranteed a UFC title shot, if he gets past Guida.

As far as the Strikeforce champs, I'm sure they will be in consideration for a title shot in the near future, but it will happen on a case by case basis. Diaz is already in talks for a GSP match, and I'm sure Melendez will get a UFC title shot, after Pettis gets his.

If Overeem and Jacare remain dominant, I'm sure they will get a title shots as well, but not as soon as Diaz and Melendez.

Not so sure how soon or if Henderson will get a shot at the UFC Light Heavyweight title at all. If he beats Fedor, he just might get another shot at UFC gold.

Strikeforce will remain a separate organization for at least a year, so sure I'm the champions (besides Diaz and Melendez), will not unify until UFC and Strikeforce officially merge or at least for awhile.

Comment

As far as the female champs, I have no idea. Dana White doesn't seem to interested in Women's MMA because there just isn't enough competition. I actually agree with that, I mean Cris Cyborg can't get a fight and when she does, it's a mismatch.

Maybe Cyborg should just start fighting men at 145. I think she has a good shot at beating Leonard Garcia, but she'd probably robbed on the scorecards.

Comment

Interesting. Isn't Gina Carano supposed to be returning in an upcoming Strikeforce event? June 18 I think. She's pretty marketable so I guess they might want to keep her around if they can find opponents for her if she looks good in her June fight.

Comment

Working...
            X