Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez needs to stop ducking Dmitry Pirog!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez needs to stop ducking Dmitry Pirog!

Dmitry Pirog was ringside for the fight last night, and has repeatedly been saying he wants to fight Martinez.

Pirog is a titleholder and because of his spectacular performance against Jacobs last year, was better known than Barker. Yet Martinez chose to fight Barker.

It would be an interesting styles matchup and so a very enjoyable fight for all the real boxing fans.

It would be a demolition. I would fear for Martinez safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
      Dmitry Pirog was ringside for the fight last night, and has repeatedly been saying he wants to fight Martinez.

Pirog is a titleholder and because of his spectacular performance against Jacobs last year, was better known than Barker. Yet Martinez chose to fight Barker.

It would be an interesting styles matchup and so a very enjoyable fight for all the real boxing fans.
      I agree this would be a good fight but how do you duck someone who doesn't have a win over a single, proven top ten fighter in the division yet and isn't worth eight cents at the box office (a factor when the champ really ain't either)? Let's not act like Pirog has really done anything to earn a shot at the crown. Proska is more deserving after the Sylvester win than Pirog is.

Comment

I like the fight but wouldn't go as far to say he is ducking Pirog I mean other than stopping Jacobs he has not a quality win on his resume.

Comment

Pirog is p4p the ugliest fighter in the sport today, he shouldnt be within 100 meters of Sergio's sexiness.

EDIT: No ****
          Last edited by Wlad; 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM. Reason: No Homo

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            I agree this would be a good fight but how do you duck someone who doesn't have a win over a single, proven top ten fighter in the division yet and isn't worth eight cents at the box office (a factor when the champ really ain't either)? Let's not act like Pirog has really done anything to earn a shot at the crown. Proska is more deserving after the Sylvester win than Pirog is.
            What were Darren Barker's wins over proven top ten fighters?

Jacobs isn't great, but that win was better than any of Barker's wins, and Pirog did it in spectacular fashion. Dmitry may not be well-known in the USA, but he's not as nondescript as Barker.

And anyone who watches Pirog can clearly see he's more talented than Barker.

And Pirog has a major belt, Barker did not.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              this is the guy who hates European fighters. I think he said Vitali was a bum after he destroyed Adamek.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                I like the fight but wouldn't go as far to say he is ducking Pirog I mean other than stopping Jacobs he has not a quality win on his resume.
                But what were Barker's quality wins?

What were Martinez's quality wins before his first fight on HBO? His loss to Margarito?

Comment

But what were Barker's quality wins?
                  None really so what is the difference whether he fought Barker now and Pirog later or Pirog now and Barker later?

Pirog is there, if he keeps winning Martinez or someone of note will have to fight him at some point but like someone said Proska deserves a shot much more than him Sylvester is a tough sub world class guy who has been around and was just obliterated by him with ease.

Comment

What were Darren Barker's wins over proven top ten fighters?

Jacobs isn't great, but that win was better than any of Barker's wins, and Pirog did it in spectacular fashion.

And anyone who watches Pirog can clearly see he's more talented than Barker.

And Pirog has a major belt, Barker did not.
                    Uh huh. I agree Barker was a silly paycheck fight...but that was after four in a row against beastly comp. Pirog is a tougher fight. However...he's ducking Pirog but went looking for Williams, Pavlik, and Dzin (a more proven fighter than Pirog in every regard and the weight division difference is nominal)? Really? Sergio took a night off for $.

What's Pirog done since Jacobs? Defend against nobodies and talk smack hoping he can get the big fight? Why doesn't he beat a top ten Middleweight. Just one. Is that too much to ask? Doesn't he have any obligation to do something to make himself THE top contender, to not give Martinez an out? Hell, Holyfield had to box in a shot at the title after being an undisputed champ and Olympian (first Tyson, eventually Douglas were the targets after a run through multiple top heavies), but the great Pirog, conqueror of the mighty Jacobs and Midget Martirosyan, is too good for even a single win over a contender?

HAHAHAHA.

It's definitely time for Serg time to get back to a serious Middleweight, esepcially in this lame two fight a year era. he really ought to go do some fights in Argentina, make the world come to him like Monzon did and actually pull some crowds.

Pirog is one good choice. There's nothing on his mark that says he's the most deserving or biggest threat yet. Geale, Sturm, Proska...all have better wins and would be just as suitable as challengers. The only really bad choice would be Lee.

The pro-Pirog folks are doing their part in hyping their man. Good on you dude. Seriously. It's part of the fun. But Pirog could be doing a hell of a lot more to get his place in line bumped up.
                    Last edited by crold1; 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X