No announcement yet.

Am I too old to box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old to box?

I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.

Originally posted by danny13 View Post
    I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.
    http://www.boxpres.com/?p=6932

Here is another one http://www.boxpres.com/?p=6985

Does that answer your question?

I just did an office survey for a blind attorney working for jp morgan. He was the lead over five other attorney's and it was shocking I didn't even know he was blind until his secretary mentioned it about 15 minutes into our conversation. He would pull cd's out of his drawer and documents out of folders without missing a beat. It was amazing I was in awe for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by jmc617; 01-11-2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danny13 View Post
      If you are in good condition with a good trainer and have good coordination it is not too late to learn to box. Work on technique and form mindfully and do things properly and don't just bang away on the heavy bag with bad form ingraining bad habits. Look to get each technique down and own it . Work on footwork and not getting hit,very few do this but make it your priority. Very few amateurs have good technique despite doing it for years. I see it all the time down the gym.Use your maturity to your advantage by working smart. After giving it your best shot you will be in a different place and at a point where you can answer your own question. At the worst you will be fitter ,stronger and a more complete fighter than you are right now . Go for it.

Comment

You are still young enough to have a few amateur fights and maybe even have a crack at the pro game after some amateur experience.

Keep training and get some fights as soon as you are ready. Good luck.

Comment

it doesnt really matter when you start, just take it seriously..study the game..and you will get skill.

some people have boxed for 10 years and learned all that they think there is to know in the first couple weeks. Basically, they never progressed.

Glen Johnson started when he was almost 20 years of age.

Comment

I think you will know after a couple fights, **** it, what you got to lose? Give it a try.

Comment

I say go for it!

I'm a few years younger than you, but I was in the same situation. But decided not to compete because I'm really close to finishing school. I still train, go to the gym, run when I have the chance. But having a black eye or busted lip on the job is just not a good look, don't have that kind of time to dedicate. It's getting hard for me to lose weight as well, genetics. Love boxing, learning and training still.

Comment

There is no such thing as "too old".

Comment

Go for it dude

Comment

not too late if you work hard enough, learn, and take care of your body. you can be a bernard hopkins.

Comment

Working...
                    X