No announcement yet.

Strengthen the core

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengthen the core

wot do u think the best exercises are for strengthnin the core? and wot is the optimal rep range we should be looking at??
    thanks

Originally posted by verbz View Post
    wot do u think the best exercises are for strengthnin the core? and wot is the optimal rep range we should be looking at??
    thanks
    this might help
    http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...s&search_type=

Comment

Try these bro. I use a lot of these exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by verbz View Post
        thanks
        In my opinion, pulls ups (all variations), sit ups, push ups (all variations depending on ability), weightless squats work the best and are great for beginners. Regarding rep range i would say as many as you can do. And don't forget to run.

Try this routine, the US Army Physical Fitness Test.

* Do 77 push-ups.

* Do 82 sit-ups.

* Run two miles in 13:18.

Then to see how you've done go to http://www.chrishutton.com/pt/index.php.

This should provide a basic insight into core strength/endurance training, you will need to do more exercises as your ability increases.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Strengthen the core in rotation. Why just do ab exercises on your back? When are you on your back in a fight? Yeah, that's not the place to be. So train the core in a standing postion. Wood chops are great to use. Reverse wood chops strengthen the core and serve as a corrective exercise as you get plenty of thoracic extension that will improve the kyphotic ( extreme forward curve of Thoracic spine )

Reverse crunches are great for strengthening the core and improving posture.. Forward ball roll or the wheel. sledge strikes. Db swiss ball crunch.

To strengthen the core use weights that you can perform 10-15 reps with. Even 8. Try performing 2-3 sets with a minute rest in between. The core is mostly made of fast twitch muscle fibers so again using resistance when training it works best not performing 25-100 reps.

I would avoid traditional sit ups at all costs as Dr. McGill who is a world renown expert in back pain and training the back for elite performance states that traditional sit ups elicit 3000 newtons of pressure on the low back. This breaks the low back down quick that will cause certain injury.

So I would focus more on rotation and reverse crunches ( as to help improve posture to ) as boxing is a rotation sport. Performing crunches all the time makes posture worse ( tears the back to hell ) and muscle imbalances inhibit great performance. The body functions best in ideal posture.

Follow this and your performance improves greatly.

Rob Pilger
          www.boxingperformance.com

Comment

^^^

Son of a *****. Someone who seems to actually know something about kinetics and exercise physiology.

That makes, um. . . ten of us at last count? Who post, anyway.

Dude, you're a welcome sight.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
              ^^^

Son of a *****. Someone who seems to actually know something about kinetics and exercise physiology.

That makes, um. . . ten of us at last count? Who post, anyway.

Dude, you're a welcome sight.
              Ah we are a rare and dying breed

Comment

Thanks it's great to be here. There's a lot of myths and bull **** in regards to strength/conditioning fighters and even teaching them skills out there so I just like to chime in with some insight when needed so we can all learn from one another.

Rob Pilger
                www.boxingperformance.com
                www.theultimateboxingworkout.com

Comment

Hey Rob, you got any images of the Reverse Wood Chops & Reverse Crunches? I'm a novice at excersising and wouldn't want to guess how to do it and end up in hospital!

Comment

Working...
                  X