No announcement yet.

Issues with calves when running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with calves when running

Whatsup guys, everytime I run afterward my calves tighten up n are in pain. What can I do to avoid this? I ran Christmas day, n haven't been able to since because my left calf is bruised/ in pain. I stretch my legs for a good 30 seconds before I run. What can I do? Drink more water? Stretch better? Thanks!!

Your own answers are a pretty good start. More water is pretty much always a good idea, although it wouldn't be the first thing I'd suspect for what sounds like a strained calf. Are you feeling any other effects of dehydration?

My first impulse is to look at your warm-up and stretching. 30 seconds is a good start, but maybe you need more. And more than one kind of stretch for the calves, maybe. Also, after your stretch, do you blast right in to full speed, or do you do any light jogging/warm-up stuff? Running without warming up is a quick way to strain something.

For recovery, obviously take some time off from running. Does it hurt only when you run? Does it hurt when you walk? And how long does the pain last? If you're talking an hour, that's just soreness. If it's days, that's probably a strained muscle. A lot of people I know who run swear by using rollers on their calves - foam or plastic tubes they roll on their calves after a run. And epsom salts for soaking.

Comment

The most basic answer is that you are running more than you can handle, so dial it down a bit and work your way back up, increasing time and/or distance by maximum 10% each week. Apart from that, stretching is overrated, in my book, but if you must, remember it is dynamic stretches before a workout, and static stretches after... i.e. the warm up is just to getting you moving, and the warm down is where you can work on increasing flexibility and roller-work or whatever

Comment

It can come from a number of things. Potassium deficiency, dehydration, needing to warm up, needing to build strength, etc.

More often, it's because you're pushing too hard off the toes and possibly striking wrong. Footwear can cause this. As can bad form. Look up some running videos and post attention to the ones that promote mid foot striking. There's many people making compelling arguments for different styles but mid foot usually corrects issues like this.
        Also, go for an economy of motion. Too much action in the foot, too long a stride, can cause problems like you're having.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
          The most basic answer is that you are running more than you can handle, so dial it down a bit and work your way back up, increasing time and/or distance by maximum 10% each week. Apart from that, stretching is overrated, in my book, but if you must, remember it is dynamic stretches before a workout, and static stretches after... i.e. the warm up is just to getting you moving, and the warm down is where you can work on increasing flexibility and roller-work or whatever
          ^^^^this
          Happens to me regularily after i take a week or 2 break or if i step up too much at once.

Comment

I try to do 15 reps (each leg) eccentric calf stretches off a step, before and after each run. Definitely an exercise worth a Google or You Tube.

Other than that, running technique can be a factor (whether you heel strike or land more forefoot). Also your cadence (amount of times you land each minute) can have a large effect. I try to aim for 170-180 light steps per min.

Lastly footwear.....heel strikers can suffer badly from trainers with too much foam under the heel (tends to tighten the achilles, which pulls on the calf muscle). I'd recommend something like Saucony fast twitch.....

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              It can come from a number of things. Potassium deficiency, dehydration, needing to warm up, needing to build strength, etc.

More often, it's because you're pushing too hard off the toes and possibly striking wrong. Footwear can cause this. As can bad form. Look up some running videos and post attention to the ones that promote mid foot striking. There's many people making compelling arguments for different styles but mid foot usually corrects issues like this.
              Also, go for an economy of motion. Too much action in the foot, too long a stride, can cause problems like you're having.
              my cousin is a top doctor.. for NFL team and he knows his chit... top top guy.. you nailed it...

also.. i avoid all kinds of crap like coke and other things that contain phosporic acid..

we eat.. or we buy foods that do not enhance our life force.. i am into jewish and ayurveda foods.. i eat clay.. i listen to my body..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                I try to do 15 reps (each leg) eccentric calf stretches off a step, before and after each run. Definitely an exercise worth a Google or You Tube.

Other than that, running technique can be a factor (whether you heel strike or land more forefoot). Also your cadence (amount of times you land each minute) can have a large effect. I try to aim for 170-180 light steps per min.

Lastly footwear.....heel strikers can suffer badly from trainers with too much foam under the heel (tends to tighten the achilles, which pulls on the calf muscle). I'd recommend something like Saucony fast twitch.....
                Good point on cadence. If you know a song that matches the bpm you want it can help you to find a good cadence. E.g. Papa Roach - Last Resort, it is 90bpm, so double-step to that and you're in the zone

Also, I'll just add that it is much harder to injure yourself running uphill; you can train pretty hard doing hills, relatively safely. But as I say, I think the simplest answer to calf tightness, or whatever, is doing too much too soon. January must be the number one month for injuries because people are like, "New year, new me! I'm gonna run five miles everyday!" coming out of nowhere, one week later, boom and they blew something out

Comment

I recommend that you wait on the running until your calves grow in to cows. Then you'll be fine...…….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by a.rihn View Post
                    Your own answers are a pretty good start. More water is pretty much always a good idea, although it wouldn't be the first thing I'd suspect for what sounds like a strained calf. Are you feeling any other effects of dehydration?

My first impulse is to look at your warm-up and stretching. 30 seconds is a good start, but maybe you need more. And more than one kind of stretch for the calves, maybe. Also, after your stretch, do you blast right in to full speed, or do you do any light jogging/warm-up stuff? Running without warming up is a quick way to strain something.

For recovery, obviously take some time off from running. Does it hurt only when you run? Does it hurt when you walk? And how long does the pain last? If you're talking an hour, that's just soreness. If it's days, that's probably a strained muscle. A lot of people I know who run swear by using rollers on their calves - foam or plastic tubes they roll on their calves after a run. And epsom salts for soaking.
                    Right now, n as for the last week, it hurts to walk. Next time I run, I'm gonna stretch better n also ease into my run..maybe try to be more fleet footed?

Comment

Working...
                    X