No announcement yet.

The new Ricky Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Ricky Hatton?

Froch is a warrior, a man who will fight anyone, anywhere and who's style is very entertaining. With that said will his fans follow him by the thousands from country to country like Hattons fans did for him? The UK has some great fans, I'd like to see them embrace Froch like they did Ricky.

OK has some of the most passionate fans I've seen. when Darren Barker fought sergio in AC we were sittin next to probly 30 fans that flew over here for Darren Barker, and Froch Im sure is much more popular, especially after last night, so yea I see them followin him alot

Comment

Hatton had a different kind of connection with his fans.

Something I've only seen rivaled by Barry McGuigan.

Froch just hasn't had the exposure here. Still to this day he is relatively unknown in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Hatton had a different kind of connection with his fans.

Something I've only seen rivaled by Barry McGuigan.

Froch just hasn't had the exposure here. Still to this day he is relatively unknown in the UK.

Do you think this fight will propel him into the limelight like the Hatton-Tszyu fight? I hope it does because I cant help but love this guys attitude and demeanor.

Comment

Ricky had a different kind of connection with the fans, I've never seen anything like it.

Having said that, the atmosphere at the Capital FM Arena last night was electric.

I hope it pushes the casual fans to embrace Froch like they did Hatton because Froch is definitely cut from a similar cloth, but for me Froch is a bit more special as a boxer. His run of fights is incredible and he just seems to have this never say die attitude.

He's professional as they come.

He was badly miss-managed early on his career thanks to Mick Hennessy and it's a shame that he's only starting to this recognition now (Eddie Hearn deserves a lot of credit too). For me, he's the best we've had in Britain for some time.

Class act.

Comment

Froch is cool and all but like some have said, Ricky had a different connection with the fans

from an outsider's POV, it seemed like the common man could relate to Ricky as like a neighbor or a drinking buddy

Froch, i dont think too many people would follow a guy that likes to tell people how great he is...

but he is one hell of a fighter to watch

he's like the Brit version of Erik Morales...takes on tough fight after tough fight...entertaining as hell

Comment

In short, no, I don't think he will ever manage to have the broad appeal Hatton did. Hatton was the typical "kid next door" most can associate with. The ability to take the piss out of yourself and not take yourself too seriously always goes a long way with us Brits and I don't see Froch offering up that side anytime soon lol

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Do you think this fight will propel him into the limelight like the Hatton-Tszyu fight? I hope it does because I cant help but love this guys attitude and demeanor.
                Hatton was pretty well known before the Tszyu fight. If Froch was 23 instead of 35 he could maybe look at building that sort of following, but most of his career is behind him now. Still, I hope he gets a couple more paydays.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I doubt it.

People forget that Hatton had a lot of exposure on UK TV and a big following before he even fought Tszyu.

You could ask the average Joe in the UK have they heard of Ricky Hatton in 2005 and 90% of them would say yes.

You could ask the same question about Froch tomorrow and you'd probably get a 50-50 reaction, if not less.

Froch has never had the exposure, after ITV stopped doing Boxing, his fights were being shown on Primetime, a ****ty channel that no one outside of hardcore Boxing fans even know exist.

That was every fight after Jermain Taylor all the way up to his fight with Glen Johnson where Sky Sports signed him.

He's obviously gotten a little more exposure since then despite only having 2 fights, 1 with Johnson and a loss to Ward and now last nights fight.

But it's too little, way too late now.

Comment

The average joe won't care for Froch I'm afraid.

Khan, Haye are all known to the casual viewer but Froch will be lost in history.

However, I rate him highly in the British Super Middleweight rankings. We have a decent fortress when it come to Super Middleweights:

Joe Calzaghe (Not a fan but still)
                    Nigel Benn
                    Chris Eubank
                    Michael Watson

ect...

Carl Froch ranks up there with them guys. I still say Nigel Benn is the most fearless, exciting and popular British Super Middleweight ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X