Immediate Rematch for Penn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate Rematch for Penn

Penn vs Edgar II, UFC 118, Aug. 28, in Boston

Former UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn will get his rematch with Frankie Edgar on August 28th, Fighters Only can reveal after speaking with several key sources. The fight will headline UFC 118, the UFC’s first card in Boston, Massachusetts.

Penn lost the title to Edgar at UFC 112 on April 10th by way of a controversial unanimous decision. Edgar outworked and out-manoeuvred Penn for much of the fight, but it was an extremely close affair that produced three very different judges’ scorecards. One judge gave all five rounds to Edgar, but that score has been widely ridiculed.

Both Penn and Edgar have since given interviews to Fighters Only and other media outlets in which they stated an immediate rematch was the most likely prospect. Placing it on the Boston card makes sense geographically as Edgar’s New Jersey home is only a five-hour drive away, allowing plenty of his fans to travel for the fight.
    http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.u...le.php?id=4332

Its bull**** really, Penn got beat in that fight don't know why the immediate rematch thing, it certainly isn't a Machida-Shogun scenario.

Comment

I guess it's because he loss by decision and not a ktfo or submission.

Because in all honestly, KenFlo and Maynard should be the ones first in line for the title shot. Penn should at least fight one of the guys I mentioned before getting the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Stalaggh View Post
        Its bull**** really, Penn got beat in that fight don't know why the immediate rematch thing, it certainly isn't a Machida-Shogun scenario.
        Penn has been the most dominant Lightweight champion in history. Look at his last five matches at Lightweight:

Pulver - choked out
        Stevenson - choked out, wins belt
        Sherk - TKO'd, becomes undisputed champ
        Florian - choked out
        Sanchez - TKO'd

None of these fights were even CLOSE. And now, out of nowhere, Frankie Edgar beats BJ Penn by decision, in a close fight, and BJ shouldn't get his rematch? If Frankie's that good and wants to make himself known as a real challenger, he will gladly take BJ on in a rematch to solidify himself. If he wins, we know it's the real deal.

BJ's run at Lightweight is unprecedented, and I believe he deserves the rematch to get his revenge and show the world that maybe he really WAS sick/not at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya Boy NeXt View Post
          Penn has been the most dominant Lightweight champion in history. Look at his last five matches at Lightweight:

Pulver - choked out
          Florian - choked out
          Sanchez - TKO'd

None of these fights were even CLOSE. And now, out of nowhere, Frankie Edgar beats BJ Penn by decision, in a close fight, and BJ shouldn't get his rematch? If Frankie's that good and wants to make himself known as a real challenger, he will gladly take BJ on in a rematch to solidify himself. If he wins, we know it's the real deal.

BJ's run at Lightweight is unprecedented, and I believe he deserves the rematch to get his revenge and show the world that maybe he really WAS sick/not at his best.

Agreed but I'm with F l i c k e r, either Florian or Maynard should get Edgar next. Penn deserves his rematch but just not right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya Boy NeXt View Post

Pulver - choked out
            Florian - choked out
            Sanchez - TKO'd

This.........

Comment

because a lot of people believe Penn won. Its like the Shogun-Machida rematch... its the right thing to do.
              Agreed but I'm with F l i c k e r, either Florian or Maynard should get Edgar next. Penn deserves his rematch but just not right away.
              no way Florian should get that shot. Penn beat him... if anything, Florian should have to go through Penn if he wants a shot at that belt. It would be wrong for him to be a champion when he has never beaten Penn who is still active in that division.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                No way Florian should get that shot. Penn beat him... if anything, Florian should have to go through Penn if he wants a shot at that belt. It would be wrong for him to be a champion when he has never beaten Penn who is still active in that division.

Thats why I said, Penn should at least fight KenFlo or Maynard first. Then get his title shot.

I think KenFlo has made a pretty big statement as to why he should get the title shot. Dismantled Guida, sure Clay is a gatekeeper but KenFlo put him away with ease. Then he picks Gomi apart, that was worse than when Nick beat him. KenFlo vs Penn II for #1 contender would be a great fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                  Thats why I said, Penn should at least fight KenFlo or Maynard first. Then get his title shot.

I think KenFlo has made a pretty big statement as to why he should get the title shot. Dismantled Guida, sure Clay is a gatekeeper but KenFlo put him away with ease. Then he picks Gomi apart, that was worse than when Nick beat him. KenFlo vs Penn II for #1 contender would be a great fight though.
                  Fair is fair, I agree, but, I don't know about it being a great fight. Ken-Flo always had to fight off the "softy label", but, the way he fought BJ, he just has too much respect for him.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 on 1 View Post
                    Fair is fair, I agree, but, I don't know about it being a great fight. Ken-Flo always had to fight off the "softy label", but, the way he fought BJ, he just has too much respect for him.
                    The way KenFlo handled Gomi. I don't think there will be much respect for Penn's hands if a second fight comes around.

Comment

Working...
                    X