No announcement yet.

Tony Tubbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Tubbs

What woulda happened if Tony Tubbs had stayed clean? I think he'd become an ATG, no doubt. He was the best hw technician of the 80's imo and the early 90's as well. But then the drugs did their work and he fell. He still continued fighting for some time, but he was no longer the same.

Let us not forget that many believe he outboxed Bowe in '91. I think it was a draw. And I'm a Bowe fan. He also beat Greg Page, his old amateur nemesis, while Page was in his prime and captured the WBA title. Unfortunately, Tubbs was never the most committed boxer when it came to training, so he turned up out of shape for the first defence against Tim Witherspoon but still gave Terrible Tim a close fight. He also beat Bonecrusher Smith on points before that fateful Tyson fight where he was giving Mike a boxing lesson before getting caught flush with that big left hook.

In conclusion, Tubbs was a great talent that didn't quite fullfil his great potential.

Tony Tubbs was a very good fighter but like already said `Drugs ruined him`

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
      What woulda happened if Tony Tubbs had stayed clean? I think he'd become an ATG, no doubt.
      So do you think Eddie Chambers is going to be an ATG if he keeps up the shape he was in for his last fight? It's basically believing the same thing.

Comment

He wasn't givin Mike a boxing lesson. He won rd 1 and got KTFO in rd 2. And Tubbs was a good fighter, but he woulda been felled by lack of conditioning anyway. I coulda seen him goin further if he stayed clean of course, but bein overweight woulda stopped him from achievin true gr8ness imo. If he couldn't get in top physical form, it woulda cost him against the top opposition he woulda needed to face in order to become an ATG.

Comment

Not a big fan of his in all honesty him and a few others of that period didn't look fit to my eyes and that was before they started taking the Columbian marching powder.
          Don't argue he was talented but as the old phrase goes 10% inspiration 90% persperation.

Comment

Outside of Page, the best pure boxer of the 80's bunch.If he stayed clean, he would've done some damage, but his lack of power, and not great chin would still hurt him to some degree.

Comment

Marvis Frazier vs Tony Tubbs amateur bout with Joe Frazier and Ken Norton commentating:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Practically the only Heavyweight to fulfill his potential in the 80s was Larry Holmes. Tubby belongs with the rest of the waste of talent. Great fighter, zero legacy.
                Last edited by Slimey Limey; 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
                  What woulda happened if Tony Tubbs had stayed clean? I think he'd become an ATG, no doubt. He was the best hw technician of the 80's imo and the early 90's as well. But then the drugs did their work and he fell. He still continued fighting for some time, but he was no longer the same.

Let us not forget that many believe he outboxed Bowe in '91. I think it was a draw. And I'm a Bowe fan. He also beat Greg Page, his old amateur nemesis, while Page was in his prime and captured the WBA title. Unfortunately, Tubbs was never the most committed boxer when it came to training, so he turned up out of shape for the first defence against Tim Witherspoon but still gave Terrible Tim a close fight. He also beat Bonecrusher Smith on points before that fateful Tyson fight where he was giving Mike a boxing lesson before getting caught flush with that big left hook.

In conclusion, Tubbs was a great talent that didn't quite fullfil his great potential.
                  Tubbs was just like his name- A TUB OF LARD!!!!!!! Never met a buffet table he didn't like. Never was impressed with him. The fight with Page was one of the worst fights I had ever seen live. Two overweight, undertrained fighters who wasted a lot of talent. Just like John Tate

Comment

The same guy that KO'd Corrie Sanders?

Comment

Working...
                    X