Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's better for your knees (agility ladder or jump rope)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's better for your knees (agility ladder or jump rope)?

I'll be honest Im a basketball player, whos only boxing as a fun hobby, but we both need that foot speed, so which is better for your knees?

Ive heard not to jump rope outside as its too harsh on your knees, does the same hold true for the agility ladder?

REALLY appreciate it, thanks everyone for your posts!

If anything, agility ladder is worse on your knees than a jump rope since all you're doing is using your legs at a very fast speed.

Jump rope uses your legs and your arms further improving your breathing and your cardio.

Comment

plyometrics should be done no more than 3x per week because they can be harsh on your joints.

both can be equally as dangerous to your knees. you just have to remember to land soft with your knees bent.

agility ladder is meant for foot speed. so is the jump rope, but you get more of a cardio workout with it than the ladder. although i think the agility ladder helps more with lateral movement related to bball.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
        plyometrics should be done no more than 3x per week because they can be harsh on your joints.

both can be equally as dangerous to your knees. you just have to remember to land soft with your knees bent.

agility ladder is meant for foot speed. so is the jump rope, but you get more of a cardio workout with it than the ladder. although i think the agility ladder helps more with lateral movement related to bball.
        Thanks for the input, doe you know if you can use the agility ladder outside? Anyone do both?

Comment

Originally posted by Craigy View Post
          Thanks for the input, doe you know if you can use the agility ladder outside? Anyone do both?
          Yes, in football in college we'd do the ladder outside endlessly. I think it's better than the rope for sports like basketball and football where you're moving forwards, backwards, sideways, etc.

Comment

I'll be honest Im a basketball player, whos only boxing as a fun hobby, but we both need that foot speed, so which is better for your knees?

Ive heard not to jump rope outside as its too harsh on your knees, does the same hold true for the agility ladder?

I jump rope on a cinder track. It's a lot easier on the knees in my opinion. I do my interval work on the grass. Also easier on the knees. I am 35 and no longer have any knee issues.

Comment

if you want to know which one is better for your knees its jump rope. if its the right exercise for you- well that's another story.

jump rope strengthens the muscles that support your knees and there's no cutting so much less chance of injury.

Comment

Go with the agility ladder. But none of these exercises are going to strengthen your knees. I don't know what anyone here is getting that idea from.

"There is simply no other exercise (and certainly no machine) that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat." –Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Do agility ladder on the grass...it'll help absorb the impact/shock

But yeah...I do squats

Comment

They both have an impact on your knees, they both need to be done on a soft surface, not concrete.

Comment

Working...
                    X