No announcement yet.

Form?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form?

As a newbie here I would like to introduce myself first. I am in my mid 20's and have been a life long fan of boxing. Unfortunately, I have just started going to the boxing gym a couple months ago. I really wanna learn the sport the right way and am willing to take my time to progress. Now to my question....

Is there a certain body form(stance) better suited for different body-types or fighting styles? For example I see Zab Judah turning his right shoulder(southpaw) constantly towards his opponent to reduce the space in his body his opponent could hit. Then i see a lot of fighters almost square their shoulders up. I myself am an orthodox. Now I try to almost have my body be sideways so that im almost looking at my opponent with my chin over my shoulder. Can anyone give me some advice and general opinions on fighting stances(form)?

what a good forum.

Comment

i do both styles you talk about and they both work well, just do what you feel suits you best

Comment

exactly do what feels best, look at ali and rjj, there stance goes here there n evrywhere. have a stance, dat allows u to have ur feet under u at all times, and allow u too punch hard and fast.

Comment

Learn the most efficient way, which is to NEVER square yourself up. Only if you discover that you have talent comprable to say a Roy Jones Jr. do you ever want to do something like that. The same goes for holding your hands low.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman
            what a good forum.
            Sarcasm and pretty quick too!

What's your trainer advocating? If you're really interested in learning correctly you must have someone guiding you? Sounds like you need to go with a basic stance similar to what you've described, only I hope your feet aren't quite in a line(one behind the ohter. Your rear foot should be a foots' length behing the front one but slightly offset so that you're balanced in case you need to change direction or pivot off either foot.

Comment

thanks guys i appreciate it.

p.s. - i would like to get into the boxing downloads section since I have surpassed 25posts. When i try to go in it says i cannot possibly due to several reasons....when ************** was up I was a very valuable seeder/uploader. Any information on access to the downloads section would be greatly appreciated.
              Last edited by Journeyman; 04-14-2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X