No announcement yet.

winky Wright's Change In Style More Responsible For Losses Than Age

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winky Wright's Change In Style More Responsible For Losses Than Age

Winky became a pretty dominant champ at 154lbs beating Mosley twice and Felix Trinidad. However once he tried to become an aggressive offensive fighter his dominance changed. Although age has played a part in Winky's diminished career I believe his change in style is what is mostly attributed to his losses during the final phase of his career.

If you recall Winky used his jab, high guard and let the other fighter take the role as the aggressor. This was his style. This is how he beat Mosley (twice), dominated Trinidad, and beat Quartey. The moment he changed styles to be more entertaining his vulnerabilities started showing up. First against Taylor, which was a great, very close fight, he took the role as the aggressor. Taylor was the one boxing and moving. Yes, this transition made for a more exciting Winky Wright and made the Taylor fight one of the best middle weight fights of the 1st decade of the 21 century, but this change in the Taylor fight only got him a draw. If he would of boxed like he normally did he might have won, even though it could of been a less exciting fight that way. Against Mosley he let Mosley come to him and used that terrific jab to control the fight. He did the same thing against Trinidad. Trinidad was the one coming forward and Winky's jab is what dominated the fight.

His fights against Hopkins, Williams and Quillen, he chose to be the aggressor and used his jab going forward. We all know that the jab is more effective when a fighter is coming to you than when you are going forward and the high guard is more effective when used by a counter puncher. His jab and high guard was tailor made for being a counter puncher. This style is what made him so good, but the moment he chose to become an aggressive fighter he started to lose rds and then lose fights.

This past Saturday's fight, again he chose to be the one going forward and he lost. Although I think he did ok considering he had not fought in so long. I don't think he got dominated and he looked good during some rds. Quillen was just to big for him and the ring rust and aggressive style he used is what ultimately caused him the match. I also don't care for the commentators putting his performance and decline in the same boat as Tarver. He looked much better than Tarver did. He threw more punches and was more competitive against a much better fighter than Tarver faced. He was in much better shape than Tarver, as you could see Tarver's huge belly, even though he was trying to cover it up with his trunks and guard. Winky looked much better than Tarver considering Tarver has fought at least 4 times in the past 4 yrs compared to Wright who has not fought anyone in 3 yrs.

I actually think if Wright fought at 154lbs and went back to his old style he could be in some interesting fights. I don't know, I just did not see an entirely shot fighter in Wright. I think the time off, his change in style, and fighting such a big strong middleweight played more in his defeat than his age. However, I know he has already announced his retirement so we will never know if he could be competitive again at 154lbs.
    Last edited by jbp23; 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM.

Originally posted by jbp23 View Post
    Winky became a pretty dominant champ at 154lbs beating Mosley twice and Felix Trinidad. However once he tried to become an aggressive offensive fighter his dominance changed. Although age has played a part in Winky's diminished career I believe his change in style is what is mostly attributed to his losses during the final phase of his career.

If you recall Winky used his jab, high guard and let the other fighter take the role as the aggressor. This was his style. This is how he beat Mosley (twice), dominated Trinidad, and beat Quartey. The moment he changed styles to be more entertaining his vulnerabilities started showing up. First against Taylor, which was a great, very close fight, he took the role as the aggressor. Taylor was the one boxing and moving. Yes, this transition made for a more exciting Winky Wright and made the Taylor fight one of the best middle weight fights of the 1st decade of the 21 century, but this change in the Taylor fight only got him a draw. If he would of boxed like he normally did he might have won, even though it could of been a less exciting fight that way. Against Mosley he let Mosley come to him and used that terrific jab to control the fight. He did the same thing against Trinidad. Trinidad was the one coming forward and Winky's jab is what dominated the fight.

His fights against Hopkins, Williams and Quillen, he chose to be the aggressor and used his jab going forward. We all know that the jab is more effective when a fighter is coming to you than when you are going forward and the high guard is more effective when used by a counter puncher. His jab and high guard was tailor made for being a counter puncher. This style is what made him so good, but the moment he chose to become an aggressive fighter he started to lose rds and then lose fights.

This past Saturday's fight, again he chose to be the one going forward and he lost. Although I think he did ok considering he had not fought in so long. I don't think he got dominated and he looked good during some rds. Quillen was just to big for him and the ring rust and aggressive style he used is what ultimately caused him the match. I also don't care for the commentators putting his performance and decline in the same boat as Tarver. He looked much better than Tarver did. He through more punches and was more competitive against a much better fighter than Tarver faced. He was in much better shape than Tarver, as you could see Tarver's huge belly, even though he was trying to cover it up with his trunks and guard. Winky looked much better than Tarver considering Tarver has fought at least 4 times in the past 4 yrs compared to Wright who has not fought anyone in 3 yrs.

I actually think if Wright fought at 154lbs and went back to his old style he could be in some interesting fights. I don't know, I just did not see an entirely shot fighter in Wright. I think the time off, his change in style, and fighting such a big strong middleweight played more in his defeat than his age. However, I know he has already announced his retirement so we will never know if he could be competitive again at 154lbs.
    winky was always a come forward fighter. he was a pressure fighter in many ways. i dunno how u missed it, but he came forward behind his jab and high guard for a good portion of his career.

Comment

yeah this is thread is completely false he was always a smart pressure fighter behind the jab. Look at the Vargas fight that that goes way back. The major change that Winky made was when he first lost on a slippery ring in south America after 5 knock downs he adopted his stable mates defensive shield. Ike Bazooka Quartey. after that particular change he became a beast behind a great jab and a good defensive shield.

fact. how do i know this, cause i've been watching winky ever since he started his career. Holla!

Comment

Winky's jab against Quillin wasn't the "Winky's jab" that I know.

Comment

What about Winky's right?

Comment

Unfortunately, I think his legs are just gone and he's not seeing tree punches coming like he's expecting to. You could see the surprise and frustration on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
              yeah this is thread is completely false he was always a smart pressure fighter behind the jab. Look at the Vargas fight that that goes way back. The major change that Winky made was when he first lost on a slippery ring in south America after 5 knock downs he adopted his stable mates defensive shield. Ike Bazooka Quartey. after that particular change he became a beast behind a great jab and a good defensive shield.

fact. how do i know this, cause i've been watching winky ever since he started his career. Holla!

I have to totally disagree. Winky was more of a defensive smart fighter. His own words say this. When he went against Taylor, he started to constantly say, he is changing his style to be more entertaining instead of the old Winky Wright. He became much more aggressive, just look at the Mosley fights and then compare them to the Taylor or Quillen fight. Very different. I am not saying he was a Floyd Mayweather, because he did use smart pressure, but against Mosley, Trinidad, and even Vargas, Winky was not the guy going forward. Trinidad is an aggressive fighter and he went straight at Wright and Wright jabbed his head off. he used the jab much differently then than he does now. He uses it going forward much more now compared to using it against a fighter coming forward. Just look at his past 4 or 5 fights and then look back at his older fights and most successful wins. He is much more aggressive now than before. Again i am not saying he was this smooth boxer who moved around the ring like Mayweather because Winky has much more rigid legs, he moves a little flat footed. Differeent fighter, he even had many interviews saying he had adopted a much more aggressive exciting style.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                Winky's jab against Quillin wasn't the "Winky's jab" that I know.
                Its same jab but he uses it going forward instead of using it against a fighter coming forward. Again just look back at the Mosley fight or Trinidad fight. He backed them up with the jab when they were trying to get inside.

Comment

Nah, Winky's always been a bit agressive.....he did start overdoing it a bit late in his career, but not really the reason he started losing, his legs just haven't had the strength they used to....he cant stay in the pocket as much because his legs give up on him and he loses his balance... he cant bounce out then in as quick as he used to(the reason his jab was a perfect counterpunch)...his reflexes and timing also diminished with the huge layoffs...

Prime Winky is my favorite guy to watch of all time...if he had had power, he wouldve been the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by jbp23 View Post
                    I have to totally disagree. Winky was more of a defensive smart fighter. His own words say this. When he went against Taylor, he started to constantly say, he is changing his style to be more entertaining instead of the old Winky Wright. He became much more aggressive, just look at the Mosley fights and then compare them to the Taylor or Quillen fight. Very different. I am not saying he was a Floyd Mayweather, because he did use smart pressure, but against Mosley, Trinidad, and even Vargas, Winky was not the guy going forward. Trinidad is an aggressive fighter and he went straight at Wright and Wright jabbed his head off. he used the jab much differently then than he does now. He uses it going forward much more now compared to using it against a fighter coming forward. Just look at his past 4 or 5 fights and then look back at his older fights and most successful wins. He is much more aggressive now than before. Again i am not saying he was this smooth boxer who moved around the ring like Mayweather because Winky has much more rigid legs, he moves a little flat footed. Differeent fighter, he even had many interviews saying he had adopted a much more aggressive exciting style.

...who's pressing the action? Get your facts straight Bud. He's a pressure fighter!

Comment

Working...
                    X