Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAW VI - Why Are They Still Doing This?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAW VI - Why Are They Still Doing This?

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=970

Saw 6 is already in the works. Here’s what we know so far.

The reviews are declining sharply for each sequel in the series - Saw (46% on rotten tomatoes), Saw 2 (36%), Saw 3 (26%), Saw 4 (18%), Saw 5 (14%). But the box office grosses aren’t. Since Saw 3, the opening weekend totals have only dropped by $2m each time:

2004 - Saw - $18.2M opening - $55.1M cume
    2005 - Saw 2 - $31.72M opening - $87M cume
    2006 - Saw 3 - $33.6M opening - $80.2M cume
    2007 - Saw 4 - $31.7M opening - $63.3M cume
    2008 - Saw 5 - $29M estimated opening

Saw 5’s production budget was reportedly only $10.8 million and any franchise that’s tripling its budget on opening weekend is not going to be abandoned. On this scale of decline, the series has a looong way to go before it’s considered no longer financially viable.

So what can we expect from Saw 6? Saw 5 director David Hackl has confirmed he’s stepping aside for Kevin Greutert, who’s edited every Saw movie to date. Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, who wrote Saws 4 and 5, will pen the screenplay.

Also see: Dark Knight Sequel Villains

As for returning cast members, Costas Mandylor (Mark Hoffman) has signed for Saw 6, as has Tobin Bell (Jigsaw).

The fate of Dr Gordon from Saw 1 remains the biggest mystery in the series. The reason he never reappeared in subsequent movies is that actor Cary Elwes filed a lawsuit in 2005 against the producers for shortchanging him on pay. The rumor is they have now made up and Leigh Whannell says Elwes might be back for Saw 6.

(Dr Gordon’s fate may actually be revealed in the upcoming Saw Video Game, since it’s written by original creators Leigh Whannell and James Wan and set at the same time as Saw 1).

There have also been hints that the infamous bathroom set could make a return, after an absence from Saw 5.

You can be damn sure that Saw 6 will be released Halloween 2009.

I think i am one of the few people to see all 5 saws. Therefore i gotta finish them off with this last one.

Comment

Originally posted by ********** View Post
      http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=970

Saw 6 is already in the works. Here’s what we know so far.

The reviews are declining sharply for each sequel in the series - Saw (46% on rotten tomatoes), Saw 2 (36%), Saw 3 (26%), Saw 4 (18%), Saw 5 (14%). But the box office grosses aren’t. Since Saw 3, the opening weekend totals have only dropped by $2m each time:

2004 - Saw - $18.2M opening - $55.1M cume
      2005 - Saw 2 - $31.72M opening - $87M cume
      2006 - Saw 3 - $33.6M opening - $80.2M cume
      2007 - Saw 4 - $31.7M opening - $63.3M cume
      2008 - Saw 5 - $29M estimated opening

Saw 5’s production budget was reportedly only $10.8 million and any franchise that’s tripling its budget on opening weekend is not going to be abandoned. On this scale of decline, the series has a looong way to go before it’s considered no longer financially viable.

So what can we expect from Saw 6? Saw 5 director David Hackl has confirmed he’s stepping aside for Kevin Greutert, who’s edited every Saw movie to date. Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, who wrote Saws 4 and 5, will pen the screenplay.

Also see: Dark Knight Sequel Villains

As for returning cast members, Costas Mandylor (Mark Hoffman) has signed for Saw 6, as has Tobin Bell (Jigsaw).

The fate of Dr Gordon from Saw 1 remains the biggest mystery in the series. The reason he never reappeared in subsequent movies is that actor Cary Elwes filed a lawsuit in 2005 against the producers for shortchanging him on pay. The rumor is they have now made up and Leigh Whannell says Elwes might be back for Saw 6.

(Dr Gordon’s fate may actually be revealed in the upcoming Saw Video Game, since it’s written by original creators Leigh Whannell and James Wan and set at the same time as Saw 1).

There have also been hints that the infamous bathroom set could make a return, after an absence from Saw 5.

You can be damn sure that Saw 6 will be released Halloween 2009.
      I stopped watching after 3...

Comment

I was a HUGE fan of part one.

I thought it was one of the better horror flicks I had ever seen.

But they have completely raped this of any value it had.

Comment

i saw a special on this a while back (i think it was on showtime)

the producers said that they have "a story to tell" and aren't perpetuating the series just because

Comment

I find that hard to believe.

I don't remember which one it was.

But one ended like a Royal Rumble match.

Like 10 people got killed at once in a trap/shoot out.

It's beyond salavaging.

Comment

Originally posted by r ! z View Post
              i saw a special on this a while back (i think it was on showtime)

the producers said that they have "a story to tell" and aren't perpetuating the series just because
              Really? So you need SIX movies to tell your story? Most producers find a way to do it in one..

GET TO THE POINT.

Comment

They keep getting better and better, I can't wait for the next installment.

Comment

I saw the first one. That was enough. **** was stupid.

Comment

Hahahaha, **** movie series anyways. The first one was the best though. They honestly should have ended it with the first one. I saw the second one in movie theatres too and I liked the first the most. I saw parts of the 3rd one because I was working at the movie theatres back then.

Comment

Working...
                    X