The Kimbo Bubble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kimbo Bubble

From Luke Thomas at Sherdog...

All of this posturing begs the obvious question: Probability of the outcome aside, what happens if Kimbo loses to Shamrock this Saturday on CBS? In fairness to Slice and this new territory his popularity has created, nothing is certain. Slice, like Chuck Liddell following his devastating loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 88, could be forgiven by fans and pundits alike. Many could extend to Slice the common MMA courtesy: Losing is part of the game and happens to the best of them; Slice is no different.

All things being equal, however, that isn’t likely to happen. Unlike Slice, Liddell’s popularity and image is partly tied to the healthy organizational juggernaut that is the Ultimate Fighting Championship. More importantly, Liddell’s reputation is based not just on stellar knockouts but on knockout wins over a Who’s Who list of the sport’s preeminent stars in its marquee division. Liddell has built up positive equity in the bank of image and prestige by scoring major victories over some of the toughest opponents on planet Earth year after year. Slice has yet to achieve such a victory even once.

What is more likely to happen is the unthinkable for EliteXC: Slice’s popularity and true prowess -- a ticket sales and television draw powerhouse -- could be deflated overnight.

'bubble' is a good word to describe it imo.

Comment

yeah a loss to Shamrock would be absolutely devastating. and on 2 fronts

1. if he loses, you can't hype Kimbo as this undefeated wrecking ball. and besides I'd have to think that Elite XC is aiming for Slice to be fighting for the Elite XC Heavyweight crown .. and a loss to Shamrock would be a pretty large setback IMO.

which brings me to my second, and more important point

2. Ken Shamrock has been kayoed in his last 5 fights and hasn't got a victory in 4 years. if he beats Kimbo it'll look terrible for Slice's career, as Shamrock looked past it vs Ortiz II and Ortiz III

yes Kimbo's horribly inexperienced as a Pro fighter and counting an Exhibition vs Ray Mercer this fight tonight will be Slice's 5th fight

*every opponent Kimbo's fought, went into the fight vs Kimbo coming off of a loss

but anyway losing to Shamrock will unofficially be curtains.

Comment

It will only look terrible if Kimbo gets ko-ed, If Shamrock takes him down and submits him the hype will still be intact cuz all the smart people will know that Ken is a ground master and all the uneducated Kimbo fans will say that the loss was bs cuz Ken was too scared to stand and trade, I think the fight is gonna be rigged anyway cuz Ken sed he feels he has to stand up with Kimbo which is pure ******edness

Comment

Working...
        X