No announcement yet.

Pedro Carrasco

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedro Carrasco

Thoughts on him? Seems very underrated, certainly a amazing record.

111 fights with 106 wins & 2 draws. 2 weight European champion & WBC Lightweight champion.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...6028&cat=boxer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Carrasco

there u go, bro. seems to have been pretty impressive in Spain. i think that's why he was underrated. European boxers don't get the same respect as the ones on the American continent, at least that's what i have noticed.

Comment

He did have one of the longest unbeaten streaks in history, something like 93 in a row.

What most sticks in my mind about Carrasco is his unusual trilogy with Mando Ramos. Either Ismael Laguna or Ken Buchanan had been stripped by the WBC for not meeting the mandatory Carrasco, so he was matched with Ramos for the vacant title. First fight in Madrid, Carrasco got the worst of it and was knocked down four times, but won when Ramos was disqualified for a foul. Obviously a contentious outcome, so the WBC refused to recognise him as champion and ordered a rematch.

Carrasco fared a lot better in the rematch but lost on a split decision. Again controversial, this time because of suspicions about the local LA judges, so the WBC ordered another rematch which Ramos again won on a split decision. This result was contested by the Spanish Boxing Federation on the grounds that Ramos tested positive for amphetamines afterwards. The result was allowed to stand but a fourth fight was ordered by the WBC. Carrasco retired at the end of the year, however, and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
        He did have one of the longest unbeaten streaks in history, something like 93 in a row.

What most sticks in my mind about Carrasco is his unusual trilogy with Mando Ramos. Either Ismael Laguna or Ken Buchanan had been stripped by the WBC for not meeting the mandatory Carrasco, so he was matched with Ramos for the vacant title. First fight in Madrid, Carrasco got the worst of it and was knocked down four times, but won when Ramos was disqualified for a foul. Obviously a contentious outcome, so the WBC refused to recognise him as champion and ordered a rematch.

Carrasco fared a lot better in the rematch but lost on a split decision. Again controversial, this time because of suspicions about the local LA judges, so the WBC ordered another rematch which Ramos again won on a split decision. This result was contested by the Spanish Boxing Federation on the grounds that Ramos tested positive for amphetamines afterwards. The result was allowed to stand but a fourth fight was ordered by the WBC. Carrasco retired at the end of the year, however, and that was that.
        wow, boxing politics can really be a *****! damn...

Comment

Working...
        X