No announcement yet.

Help out a Beginner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a Beginner

Okay, I've posted about twice here. So here goes the major questions I hope I can have help with. I know speed/strength traing is what I should do but what exactly should that entail. Second, since I haven't really done any major training for a sport in about a year and a half, and that was for football big difference I know but I was decently fast my bench wasn't too bad: 40 yards was 5'1 and my bench was pretty bad at 210, should I A: start at a gym and get in a little better shape before finding a trainer or B: Just go and try to find a trainer now. How easy is it to find a trainer, how much will it cost me, and if I work full time will I still be able to handle the workout schedule. Lastly, no matter what I do does anyone have any tips on what I should be eating, nutriontal wise. I'm not fat at all, 185 lbs slim, and also if you think I should add supplements what kind. Thanks for responding when you do it will be a big help.

Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention is that I wear contacts/glasses. I know that's not a good thing to have, but I still really want to start boxing. Can I still do this, I mean obviously I can't wear glasses and contacts can't be much better, and I'm pretty damn blind. So yeah that sucks but any kind of response would be much appreciated thanks.

Comment

I wear contacts as well and I've been boxing for three years now with my first match coming up soon. When I take them out (the contacts) I'm practicly blind, so I just wear them during training even when sparring. Of course I wear soft contacts and I put in a new pair every month. Until now I've lost them a couple of times. You mostly loose them when you get jabbed to the eye. So just take those punches with your forehead or even better don't take them at all and you'll be fine.

Comment

Oh awesome, I was worried I wouldn't be able to box. Thanks a lot. Um, if you have any advice about my first post on this thread I would really appreciate that also. Even if you don't post again I just want to say thanks either way.

Comment

I don't know if you're looking to spend money, but for about $30 (USD) you can get The Boxer's Guide to Performance Fitness by Ross Enamait. It's a good book, and if you follow what he lays out you'll be in supreme shape in three months.

You're best bet is to join a boxing gym, though. Forget getting into shape first, you'll do that as you learn to box. If you're not fat, as it is, then you should be okay. Maybe a bit of conditioning, but you're not going to get the kind you need anywhere but boxing.

Comment

Working...
          X