No announcement yet.

Bottom 10 Heavyweight Champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom 10 Heavyweight Champions

Six ounce gloves under the old rules and practices. We choose not to follow our usual practice of abiding by the rules and customs of the oldest participants, for that would mean going all the way back to the bare knuckle era.

1 John L. Sullivan
    2 Seirhei Liakovich
    3 Oleg Masakaev
    4 Ruslan Chagaev
    5 Nicolai Valuev
    6 Maual Charr
    7 Charles Martin
    8 Lucas Browne
    9 Bermane Stiverne
    10 Sultan Ibrigamov

One thing is immediately apparent: the contemporary era has sunk so low that the old standbys such as Carnera, Sharkey, Johansson, Ruiz et al can no longer even make the list of worst heavyweight champions.

A second thing is immediately apparent. A great deal of the mediocrity stems from Russia or its former sattelites. These reds have kept some true medioctrities off the list all right.

Who can really say who is the worst of this pack of bums? Just put the names in a jar and shake them up well. We give the worst position to Sullivan only because he would be the most out of his element due to the time period. He was more of a fighter than any of these bums, as far as that goes. The other bums would run from him and peck at him.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 06-29-2018, 10:50 PM.

Charles Martin
    Bruce seldon

Those are probably the 2 worst “champs” I ever saw

Comment

I didn't trust you, I cut and paste a name into Google just to make sure you weren't making the names up; I literally never heard of any of them (and I'm using literally correctly).

These guys were called champion? By whom?

To say this is pathetic isn't damning enough.

I disagree about Sullivan I suspect there are several lineal champs he could beat or at least take into the late rounds.

Of John L.'s 41 fights, 31 of them were gloved events, under MQB rules.

The Sullivan who faced Kilrain ('89) was in superb shape and could easily go 15 MQB rounds and would always have a punchers chance.

(If you take the time length of the Kilrain fight, math out the 30 second rest between (75) rounds, Sullivan stops Kilrain in what would have been 15th (MQB) round.

Had the Corbett of '92 met the Sullivan of '89 it may very well have been a different outcome. Sullivan not only could bang but could box, that's why Corbett had to stay away from Sullivan for the first half of the fight (and that Sullivan was a booze soaked, out of shape drunk).

Corbett had been banging Fitzsimmons around pretty handily before he suffered the solar plexus punch; in turn he wouldn't even engage Sullivan until he was sure the 'old man' was exhausted.

IMO you have to get up to Louis and beyond before Sullivan becomes noncompetitive.

I'm going to cut and paste a few more names, I still think you made some of them up.

Comment

OK I get it now, most of these guys are WBA champions.

So two Russians get drunk and beat on each other in a garage in Belarus for a while, then someone calls in the results to Panama, and as soon as the 'sanctioning fee' check clears the WBA announces there is a new HW Champion.

Speaking of Russian scams, did you ever hear of the por* scam the Russians ran on ATT back in the '90s? It was really slick; the entire government was in on it.

P.S. I can't write out the word "po*n" - that is absurd.

Comment

--- Sultan, Valuev, and Chagaev were sound boxers who also have size over most champs worth Valuev the King of size.

Ring did an interview with the great Cuban trainer, Diaz I think is the name who trained all the great Cuban heavies said Chagaev was the strongest fighter he ever worked with.

Former LH contender john scully was in Germany when he first saw Valuev whose size and speed were breathtaking.

We got folks here still fightin the Cold War.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            --- Sultan, Valuev, and Chagaev were sound boxers who also have size over most champs worth Valuev the King of size.

Ring did an interview with the great Cuban trainer, Diaz I think is the name who trained all the great Cuban heavies said Chagaev was the strongest fighter he ever worked with.

Former LH contender john scully was in Germany when he first saw Valuev whose size and speed were breathtaking.

We got folks here still fightin the Cold War.
            Everyone's taking that real seriously, Queensbree; Valuev's breathtaking speed, especially. He was taking his own breath, I guess.

Comment

--- Valuev was slowing down faster than normal as he aged because of his disease much like Andre the Giant did.

Regardless, even slow with his experience he'd beat most champs because of the mismatch in size and strength.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                --- Valuev was slowing down faster than normal as he aged because of his disease much like Andre the Giant did.

Regardless, even slow with his experience he'd beat most champs because of the mismatch in size and strength.
                If true, that is because the list of Red bums I published was not the complete list of Red bums or plainly colored bums who have claimed the heavyweight championship over the decades. Those are the ones he can whip. I would expect Tommy Burns, one of the weaker of the true and traditional champs, to thrash the big Red soundly.

Comment

--- Valuev could throw Tommy into the 10th row and knock him into the 3rd row.

Luv me nostalgia and Tommy, but place my bets on reality.

Comment

Arguing with you is easy. I just let you do all the work of proving your arguments are a churl's. Once my folk hear you extolling the pugilistic virtues of big red Nicky, my job is done. You did it for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X