Hey Guys Help Me Out!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys Help Me Out!!!

Alright fellas, here's the deal.

I just read in the paper that the Chicago Golden Gloves Tournament registration is this weekend and next weekend.
    I would really like to try this out. HOWEVER, I have no formal boxing experience. In the past months I have read several informational books on the sport because I was planning on getting involved in boxing by the summer.

I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, as far as entering something like this without experience but I figured it's more just to get my feet wet and see how I like it.

I am a very exceptional collegiate athlete with no stamina problems. (I realize boxing takes more out of you than basketball.) I have been planning on trying the sport so I've been dieting to bring weight down as low as I can. I'm 6'6'' and weight around 200 right now. For basketball I was around 230. Body fat index was last measure at 5.2%. I know it's premature but I believe boxing is something I can really excel at.

Okay, now that you got the info on me, here's where I need your help.

1. Do you think this is a wise idea to enter the tournament?

2. What do I need to bring to the tournament? I already have boxing shoes I ordered from Title. It also says I can purchase a current USA boxing passbook at the site for $30 dollars. Do I need to buy my own gloves? Any specific kind?

3. What is the format of the tournament? One and done? Double Elimination?

Well guys, this is all last minute but thanks for listening to me rant on about this whole thing. If you have any advice at all for me, please let me know. Anything I should expect or tips. Thanks alot guys.

Also, If any of you guys are in the chicago area and have any experience in the sport and would like to guide me through this thing, let me know. Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Comment

I would not recommend stepping in the ring with no formal training. You would probably end up in the sub novice division beacuse you have had no sanctioned bouts. That division is normally very empty and hard to find a match in, in Detroit at least. It is for boxers with 0 bouts entering the tournament. If you are not able to get a match you are able to step up to the novice division, for boxers with no more than 10 bouts. I do not recommend doing this, by any means.

Even stepping in with a beginner will be tough. They may have trained only a month or two for the bout but I know of teams that will keep them in the gym for up to a year before turning them loose. You will not want to run into one of those fighters because they will have alot of training behind them and it could be a tough night. However, if you can find a match in the sub novice division you might consider taking it. There have been instances when somebody off the street was just in good enough shape to take a decision or stop the guy. It is very rare though, but not impossible.

The divisions that I told you about, sub-novice, novice, etc..., were for the matched bouts in the USA/ABF handbook. The golden gloves may differ.

The elimination process in the gloves is a single elimination format. You lose, you go home.

I would highly recommend getting to a gym and getting formal training, sparring and floor work. You will enjoy your boxing experience much more than just saying, ah what the hell, and doing it. With boxing if it is going good for you it can be the greatest thing. But if its not it can be a pure nightmare, that you hope you will not have to wake from. Meaning you would have been ko'd and you are suddenly coming to your senses again. Take your time and do it right...............Rockin'

Comment

Thanks for the advice rockin. I'll keep that under consideration.

Comment

Dont enter. It's ******ed. Find a gym and train for a couple of months then you could think about entering. Reading a book doesnt teach you **** and saying that you'll excel at boxing is so wrong on so many levels.

Comment

Yeah, I did rethink the whole thing. I saw it in the paper and got kind of excited. (still sparks alot of interest though)

I didn't say that reading a book would have me aiming for the championship or anything. I just said I was thinking about trying. More or less just to see if it was something I would want to dedicate myself too. I'm pretty well conditioned so I had just figured, why not?

And as far as saying that I would excel, well hell yeah, I would excel. I excel at everything I attempt to do. I'm wrong on so many levels because I'm a flat-out athlete? I understand that boxing is probably the most taxing and grueling of all sports. But don't ever tell me that I won't be good at something. Because 100 times out of 100 you'll be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenboyprm
              Alright fellas, here's the deal.

I just read in the paper that the Chicago Golden Gloves Tournament registration is this weekend and next weekend.
              I would really like to try this out. HOWEVER, I have no formal boxing experience. In the past months I have read several informational books on the sport because I was planning on getting involved in boxing by the summer.

I know it's probably not the wisest thing to do, as far as entering something like this without experience but I figured it's more just to get my feet wet and see how I like it.

I am a very exceptional collegiate athlete with no stamina problems. (I realize boxing takes more out of you than basketball.) I have been planning on trying the sport so I've been dieting to bring weight down as low as I can. I'm 6'6'' and weight around 200 right now. For basketball I was around 230. Body fat index was last measure at 5.2%. I know it's premature but I believe boxing is something I can really excel at.

Okay, now that you got the info on me, here's where I need your help.

1. Do you think this is a wise idea to enter the tournament?

2. What do I need to bring to the tournament? I already have boxing shoes I ordered from Title. It also says I can purchase a current USA boxing passbook at the site for $30 dollars. Do I need to buy my own gloves? Any specific kind?

3. What is the format of the tournament? One and done? Double Elimination?

Well guys, this is all last minute but thanks for listening to me rant on about this whole thing. If you have any advice at all for me, please let me know. Anything I should expect or tips. Thanks alot guys.
              you are gonna get killed.......
              fighting heaviweight golden gloves
              without experience???
              boy you better know how to take a hit

Comment

I'd recommend listening to rockin. This thread is informative, despite the no-brainer answer.

Comment

3 words.... DONT DO IT

Comment

Yeah, I def heard what you guys are saying.

Not to sound really foolish, I don't want you guys thinking I'm an idiot. I just get really caught up in competeing and all. In almost anything I believe in myself. But you guys are def right on this one. I'm going to take my time with it. Thanks for your info guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X