Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Is the evolution theory racist?

If the evolution theory is real then that would mean that race isnt a social construct.

It would mean that humans in different parts of the world evolved differently. That some ethnic groups have for example a higher IQ than others.

So why do so many atheist lefties who believe in evolution also believe that race is just a social construct?

Originally posted by 2Fast View Post
    If the evolution theory is real then that would mean that race isnt a social construct.

It would mean that humans in different parts of the world evolved differently. That some ethnic groups have for example a higher IQ than others.

So why do so many atheist lefties who believe in evolution also believe that race is just a social construct?

Stopped reading after that sentence. Not at all a statement that needs to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

Stopped reading after that sentence. Not at all a statement that needs to be true.
      What do you mean? Different ethnic groups evolved seperate from each other for tens of thousands of years. Dont you think they might have evolved differently?

Comment

What do you mean? Different ethnic groups evolved seperate from each other for tens of thousands of years. Dont you think they might have evolved differently?
        You are using the word 'evolved' where it doesn't actually fit. People who separated and developed into different cultures did not experience evolution, which would likely take much more time than that to really manifest.

Plus, the biological evidence doesn't support your theory - given just someone's DNA it is not possible to determine with confidence what race they belong to. In fact, people of different races sometimes have significantly more in common genetically than some people within the same race. While there are pockets of shared genetic variation, they rarely line up with the specific cutoffs we have drawn as a society for the races we recognize.

I think humans are naturally inclined to categorize things, and choosing things that we can easily see and identify (such as skin color, hair, place of birth etc) to draw up race lines is understandably within the realm of human behavior. But those lines don't actually correspond to any consistently differentiable biological markers.

Here is a good article on the matter: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...entists-argue/

Comment

You are using the word 'evolved' where it doesn't actually fit. People who separated and developed into different cultures did not experience evolution, which would likely take much more time than that to really manifest.

Plus, the biological evidence doesn't support your theory - given just someone's DNA it is not possible to determine with confidence what race they belong to. In fact, people of different races sometimes have significantly more in common genetically than some people within the same race. While there are pockets of shared genetic variation, they rarely line up with the specific cutoffs we have drawn as a society for the races we recognize.

I think humans are naturally inclined to categorize things, and choosing things that we can easily see and identify (such as skin color, hair, place of birth etc) to draw up race lines is understandably within the realm of human behavior. But those lines don't actually correspond to any consistently differentiable biological markers.

Here is a good article on the matter: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...entists-argue/
          What?

If we didnt evolve then how come we look different. How come we have different skin colour? how come we have different type of hair. How come we have different type of eyes. How come we have different type of noses. How come some etnhic groups are taller than others?

Isnt that evolution?

Comment

*Crickets*

Comment

What?

If we didnt evolve then how come we look different. How come we have different skin colour? how come we have different type of hair. How come we have different type of eyes. How come we have different type of noses. How come some etnhic groups are taller than others?

Isnt that evolution?
              We evolved bigger d1cks you mad about that huh?

Comment

What?

Isnt that evolution?
                When I think of the word evolve I think of significant changes occurring over a long period of time that result in branching off into another species. If you are using 'evolve' to describe much smaller changes then that, then sure I guess people have experienced evolution (and so have all animals after every generation). But if that's what you mean by evolution, then you'd have to explain why that form of evolution didn't happen neatly within each race boundary as you believe.

Within each race there are groups that developed much differently from one another (in terms of the characteristics you mentioned), and there are groups of people who do not share the same race that grew together and have some shared genetic variations. Take those two facts, and the fact that there is no single genetic variation that separates all white people from all black people (even after accounting for migrations), and you can only arrive at the conclusion that race does not have a significant biological meaning.

My point is this - humans have experienced some changes over time. But those changes do not totally correspond to the arbitrary racial boundaries we have come up with as a society. It is not possible to look at only someone's genetic makeup and determine what race they would be categorized into.

Comment

When I think of the word evolve I think of significant changes occurring over a long period of time that result in branching off into another species. If you are using 'evolve' to describe much smaller changes then that, then sure I guess people have experienced evolution (and so have all animals after every generation). But if that's what you mean by evolution, then you'd have to explain why that form of evolution didn't happen neatly within each race boundary as you believe.

Within each race there are groups that developed much differently from one another (in terms of the characteristics you mentioned), and there are groups of people who do not share the same race that grew together and have some shared genetic variations. Take those two facts, and the fact that there is no single genetic variation that separates all white people from all black people (even after accounting for migrations), and you can only arrive at the conclusion that race does not have a significant biological meaning.

My point is this - humans have experienced some changes over time. But those changes do not totally correspond to the arbitrary racial boundaries we have come up with as a society. It is not possible to look at only someone's genetic makeup and determine what race they would be categorized into.
                  Now you are redefining evolution?

What do you mean with significant changes? Isnt height a significant difference?

And there is a different in DNA between ethnic groups. Who told you there wasnt?

Comment

Now you are redefining evolution?

What do you mean with significant changes? Isnt height a significant difference?

And there is a different in DNA between ethnic groups. Who told you there wasnt?
                    Height would be a more meaningful characteristic in defending the idea that one race is biologically different than another race if for instance every member of race A was say 5 to 6 feet tall and every member of race B was 6'1 to 7 feet tall. That's what I mean when I say consistently differentiable. There are no genetic markers that are consistently differentiable between any races as we have defined them.

Who told me there wasn't? Modern scientists. Take this article written by a biology professor:
                    BIOLOGICAL RACE has been
                    defined by combinations of physical
                    features, geographic ancestry, frequencies
                    of genes (alleles) and evolutionary
                    lineages. Biological races exist within
                    some species. This is why we know they
                    do not exist within our species, modern
                    humans.

SOCIALLY DEFINED RACE has been
                    defined by an arbitrarily organized
                    combination of physical traits, geographic
                    ancestry, language, religion
                    and a variety of other cultural features.

The modern consensus of evolutionary
                    biologists is that our species
                    does not have enough genetic variability
                    among its populations to justify
                    either the identification of geographically
                    based races or of evolutionarily
                    distinct lineages.
                    there is no single physical
                    trait or gene that can be used to
                    unambiguously assign people to racial
                    groups
                    http://www.tolerance.org/sites/defau...20-%20TT50.pdf

But if you want a more neutral source the article I linked before touches on the same ideas.
                    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 04-17-2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X