Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very confused starting boxer! (help needed please)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very confused starting boxer! (help needed please)

So, as it stands now, I am right handed (for pretty much everything), so my right hand is my power hard, but, I naturally stand in southpaw, it just feels right, though I rely on my right hand delivering the power blows (and powerful jabs).

I was talking with someone from the gym I just started (full size boxing gym) and he wanted me to stand orthodox and learn that way, as only then will my right hand develop it's full potential as then I can put more body weight into my power swing (starting with the foot turn).

I don't know, it just doesn't feel right standing orthodox and I feel very weak, under confident and uncoordinated.

I have been on and off boxing all my life, had a few bags in my time in the house just to mess around on, never took it too seriously, basically though my left hand doesn't do much but a few weak touches, as like I said, I am right handed.

tl;dr, I am right handed (power hand) yet naturally stand southpaw, what to do? can I make it work, or better to learn orthodox?

if you stand better in southpaw go with it there are boxers that stand both ways southpaw and orthodox, try them both one at each training and decide wich one you fight better in

Comment

Do whatever feels most comfortable.
      There have been many boxers down the years that jabbed with their 'power' hand.

Comment

i dont like the idea of you being a south paw when you are right handed,it has no benefits what soever,you may have a sharper jab but you will lose your balance when you are moving side to side left to right right to left,i think that you should stand in your natural position and use the body movements that are in conjunction with being a right hand fighter,if you decide to change to southpaw then adjustments will have to be made,shoulder rolls,feints,leg movements.

Comment

hmm, thanks for the mixed feeback guys.
          I am hearing different opinions from everyone really, personally I think it may be best to practise leading with my weak hand, and to train so I don't really have a 'weak' hand..

I am going to try orthadox for a while, though it really doesn't feel right =\, I guess you can train the body to do anything though.

Comment

Go orthodox otherwise you're more likely to be a one-handed boxer. If you're already giving up on the simplest thing, which is the stance, how do you know that you're going to be disciplined enough to learn other techniques correctly simply because you're not willing? EVERYONE has felt the uncomfortability of being orthodox, so don't think you were and different than us. You have to train that left hand. Besides, you're just starting, you're in no position to say you're uncomfortable if you haven't tried it for more than a month consistently.

Excuse my *******-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris180Z View Post
              hmm, thanks for the mixed feeback guys.
              I am hearing different opinions from everyone really, personally I think it may be best to practise leading with my weak hand, and to train so I don't really have a 'weak' hand..

I am going to try orthadox for a while, though it really doesn't feel right =\, I guess you can train the body to do anything though.
              it doesnt hurt to try,as you are very confused still,i still think yo ushould shadow box infront of a mirror at both positioniong ways,try thenm out while shadow boxing,try throwing jabs moving side to side,feints are very important see which way your feet go,whe you switch styles you have to adjust basically your whole style,it can be effective i think hagler has done it and used it successfully against hearns and duran

Comment

I would suggest trying out the orthodox stance for a few weeks to see how you feel, then if you're still unhappy and feel that you have better balance and coordination as a southpaw, use that stance instead - there's nothing wrong with that. Cotto, De La Hoya and Barrera are all left handed orthodox fighters.

You'll have to develop your left hand either way though, but don't worry because the power will naturally increase as you learn to pivot and transfer your body weight when throwing punches.

Comment

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
                  I would suggest trying out the orthodox stance for a few weeks to see how you feel, then if you're still unhappy and feel that you have better balance and coordination as a southpaw, use that stance instead - there's nothing wrong with that. Cotto, De La Hoya and Barrera are all left handed orthodox fighters.

You'll have to develop your left hand either way though, but don't worry because the power will naturally increase as you learn to pivot and transfer your body weight when throwing punches.
                  you seem pretty sure of your suggestion,cotto,delahoya and barrera arer seasoned veterans they honed their skills before attempting this shift,i think that time and preservation will help this member on choosing the stance,this stance choosing should be based on how comfortable the member is with it, not on who has done it,

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
                    this stance choosing should be based on how comfortable the member is with it, not on who has done it
                    Can you even read? The OP himself said he feels more comfortable in the southpaw stance.

I used those three purely as an example to show that your stronger hand doesn't necessarily have to dictate which stance you use.

Comment

Working...
                    X