Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustafa Hamsho-the best middleweight that never won a title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustafa Hamsho-the best middleweight that never won a title?

The title says it all. Hamsho was definitely one of the top 10 mws in the 80's, yet he never won a title. Had a brave attempt against Hagler the first time. Beat Alan Minter, young Bobby Czyz.

Bennie Briscoe.

Comment

Got briscoe and the whole murderers row middles have been so deep I don't think hamsho gets near to be honest

Comment

Think you said it yourself Benn he was a top ten contender in the 80's bit of a leap to make him the best mw never to win the title. Personally I'd probably go with Langford, Hamsho I'd rate under Rubin Carter.

Comment

Hamsho is definitely under Carter, and Carter is under another 30+ guys, half of which we often deem Heavyweights and Light Heavyweights despite the fact that they were natural Middleweights.

Anyways, Georgie Benton > Bennie Briscoe. And you can never forget about Charley Burley in these discussions, who I rate in the top 10 ATG Middleweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            Hamsho is definitely under Carter, and Carter is under another 30+ guys, half of which we often deem Heavyweights and Light Heavyweights despite the fact that they were natural Middleweights.

Anyways, Georgie Benton > Bennie Briscoe. And you can never forget about Charley Burley in these discussions, who I rate in the top 10 ATG Middleweights.
            Im curious why you think Hamso is "definitely" under Carter? Seems there resumes are pretty equal to me. What makes it such a definitive separation for you?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Im curious why you think Hamso is "definitely" under Carter? Seems there resumes are pretty equal to me. What makes it such a definitive separation for you?
              Ummmm, talent?

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                Ummmm, talent?
                Carter lost to Giardello and a few other top mws of that time. Hamsho lost to Hagler, who was a better fighter, perhaps much better than Giardello. Your case sounds pretty thin.

Didn't he also lose to Dick Tiger?
                Last edited by Benncollinsaad; 10-01-2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I actually meant Hamsho was the best middleweight of the EIGHTIES that never won a title. And he was def ONE OF the best that never won a title.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    Think you said it yourself Benn he was a top ten contender in the 80's bit of a leap to make him the best mw never to win the title. Personally I'd probably go with Langford, Hamsho I'd rate under Rubin Carter.
                    Beat me to it with Langford and Carter... I'd say Hamsho's a worthy contender to.. I think Herol Graham falls into this category also... I know he was brutally KO'd by Jackson, but I also think it's fair to say that Graham was making him look stupid, until the Virgin Islander pulled it out the bag.. Should also be mentioned, that he gave Mike McCallum & Sambu Kalambay all they could handle over 12...

Comment

Working...
                    X